News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

A coupleof cosmetic changes - requested.

Started by HarrierST, November 01, 2017, 02:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrierST

These are just 2 cosmetic requested changes to the game and do not effect game play.

1. When you open the map window, it would be more informative if navigational rivers were shown in a different shade/s of blue than streams etc.  More important if you are starting a game in 1750+. When you need to plan canal /river networks.

2. Public Services. I know they keep building items when classified as bankrupt.

But, if you use public roads - you are charged an access fee. Which shows in the Public Service financial accounts (even if they are in massive negative debt.).

So although it has no effect on the game except for display purposes - I suggest the following.

To simulate public council taxes/rates, business corporation tax's etc.  At the start of every year add an amount of money to the Public service account.

Instead of using rates applied to house/business ownership/ rental etc. To simplify matters this could be "total number of citizens on the map" times a "simconfig variable".

Total people = 35,000
Variable = 5$  (altered in simconfig file)
Total Council Income = 175,000

It is only done at the start of each year and is a simple calculation. But could add a bit more realism.

jamespetts

Thank you for the suggestions. I can see the sense in no. 1, but it might be some time before I have the time to get around to it, as there is an extremely large queue of higher priority tasks at present likely to take a number of years to complete. However, if you or anyone else would like to have a go at coding this feature, then I should be more than happy to integrate it.

As to no. 2, what you propose is similar to one of the tasks already queued: see here (look for the section on public player finances). This would be more than a cosmetic change, however, and require adding (and then balancing) a whole new simulation layer, which would be a very large amount of work.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

HarrierST

Assuming we are in 1750 time frame. But should apply to other era's.

When in the depot screen - if you click on "show all"  for instance on the  bus tag and then (stage coach  [which is in RED]) it would be useful if it  displayed which Trucks (horses) need  to be built to get the stage coach.

Just a suggestion.

jamespetts

You can already do this by switching from "append" to "insert" to build the convoy backwards, starting with the coach and ending with the horses.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

HarrierST

Thanks for your answer.

As a relatively new player - I am sorry for asking lots of questions - about topics that are probably more obvious to experienced players.

jamespetts

Don't worry - asking questions is a good way to learn things.

HarrierST

Quote from: HarrierST on November 01, 2017, 02:11:23 AM

1. When you open the map window, it would be more informative if navigational rivers were shown in a different shade/s of blue than streams etc.  More important if you are starting a game in 1750+. When you need to plan canal /river networks.

I have found a way to show this in the map window.

Select "Weight Limit" - navigable rivers are shown in red.  :)