News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

border of countries and citylists for countries (map picture like height map)

Started by Towner, February 19, 2015, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towner

Addition map picture like height map, both in one folder, colors for countries and citylists for countries, it will correct coordinates of cities by countries on the map, it is third request, other here http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14426.0

example

prissi

This will not come; you can however generate something like borders using gamescript.

Sarlock

Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Carl

I did country borders with a custom-painted road on my Balkans map. It's quick and dirty, but I can upload it if there's demand.

http://imgur.com/vuyyXYz

Towner

Quote from: Carl on February 19, 2015, 11:25:56 PM
I did country borders with a custom-painted road on my Balkans map. It's quick and dirty, but I can upload it if there's demand.
No, I mean not borders, but area for country and citylist for this area, it will correct coordinates of cities by countries on the map. Color of the area is not visual on the map,  only map picture like height map.

DrSuperGood

This request is pretty reasonable for largish maps with 50 odd cities. The idea would be to fragment the map into abstract "political" zones. Each zone defines certain kinds of availability such as climate and city names. When something is placed in a zone it fetches a zone appropriate name for it.

For example, a map could be split into two areas (say half-half) where one area is set to use names of places in France while the other is set to use names of places in Germany. The result is a map with both Paris and Germany and around those cities are appropriate named cities as well (no Munich near Paris and no Mulhouse near Berlin).

One issue is such a change is quite big and would have little immediate effect on improving game play. Another issue is that determining which political region a point is in requires extra memory (possibly for maps to speed up searches) and computational resources (to find it). Another issue is that creating such regions randomly and consistently (to support map expansion) might be very difficult.

Towner

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 20, 2015, 01:03:19 AM
One issue is such a change is quite big and would have little immediate effect on improving game play.

What kind of gameplay? Improving game play is mean improving game balance, some values, or do you mean add new things, my opinion.

Another issue is that determining which political region a point is in requires extra memory (possibly for maps to speed up searches) and computational resources (to find it).

It's picture like height map for create map, save sve, after that you can delete any height map (file PPM). Or may be I do not understand how work sitylist, can name of the city save into .sve or .nut?

Another issue is that creating such regions randomly and consistently (to support map expansion) might be very difficult.

No random, it just picture like height map.

Quote from: IgorEliezer on February 20, 2015, 01:56:42 AM
Similar suggestion? http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9898.0

I think it is a little different

DrSuperGood

QuoteWhat kind of gameplay? Improving game play is mean improving game balance, some values, or do you mean add new things, my opinion.
Instead of resources developing this, other mechanics could be worked on such as smarter industry placement, new industry models, better growth models etc.

QuoteIt's picture like height map for create map, save sve, after that you can delete any height map (file PPM). Or may be I do not understand how work sitylist, can name of the city save into .sve or .nut?
Yes however it would increase the memory usage per tile by the number of different regions you want to support. Seeing how tiles are one of the most common elements on a map this would raise system requirements further.

QuoteNo random, it just picture like height map.
However the feature would need support for simutrans random map generator (even if few people use it). This would mean additional work to implement.

QuoteI think it is a little different
It is just one possible way to implement it.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 20, 2015, 06:18:26 AM
Yes however it would increase the memory usage per tile by the number of different regions you want to support. Seeing how tiles are one of the most common elements on a map this would raise system requirements further.

Since regions are 2D only, there is room for support of up to 256 regions in planquadrat_t without any increased memory use. Doing anything useful with regions requires fixing up lots of other things first, such as name lists not tied to the GUI language and smarter industry placement (it wouldn't be nice if parts of all industry chains were in a region you can't build in).