News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Pak 128 Livestock wagon

Started by druid, April 07, 2009, 03:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druid

Have had a go at creating a livestock wagon for pak britain. I already sent one to the hood and recieved some feedback. Consequently I have had another go. Have a look and let me know what you think.
hopefully i'll get it to load.

The Hood

Sorry mate, didn't reply to your email on that one - was away over the weekend and then forgot!  Ooops

It's difficult to say how that will look in the game until you have got images of it in the 8 rotations at the right scale and lighting setup, but from what you've done the detail should be good enough.  Unfortunately I have no experience of the software you are using, so I have no idea how to convert your image into the 8 images the game needs (see any of the vehicle pngs from SVN and you will see what I mean).  If your image is from a 3D model that you can rotate and render with light coming in from the correct angle, it's probably not too tricky, otherwise, you may be working for a while!

I recommend you take an existing png from the SVN use that as a template.

VS

It looks great. You might have trouble with the rendering setup at first, but once you've got the hang of it, it is probably just repetitive, or can be automated. Good luck!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Hmm, were there wooden bogie wagons used for livestock in the UK, in the days that livestock was carried by rail? I think that they were more likely four-wheeled unfitted trucks. That wagon looks a tad American.

Here are some example of British cattle trucks:

http://www.slatersplastikard.com/Wagon%20Photographs/slaters%207054a.htm
http://www.wagonandcarriage.co.uk/images/8790.jpg
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Good point, James.  I would add that for any vehicle to make it into pakBritain it has to be based on a British vehicle in the first place - so either make it like the ones James has got photos of or find a photo of a British vehicle that looks like yours :)

jamespetts

(I might add that, if it doesn't fit into PakBritain, there are other paksets into which it could fit - I think that somebody is doing an American pakset somewhere.)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

druid

the 3D package I use is google sketchup pro 7, and the 2D editing program is Macromedia fireworks 8 (industry standard). The wagon was originally saved as a *.skp file. The design of the wagon came from my own ideas of those I saw as a child living on a farm in in the 1960's in Wales. I have the rail template for Simutrans so I will try and do the images and send it to the hood to look at. I will also have a go at doing a more 'english' version.
:police: