News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[r7060 SDL] Error with players ¿?

Started by Yona-TYT, February 04, 2014, 07:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

Gave me an error when I added virtual players.

See the attached file...

prissi

Why do you run the windows exe on Unix???

Yona-TYT

sim-winsdl.exe

I'm using wine since fedora... ;)

Ters

I think Simutrans would feel more at home on Linux if it was made for Linux. Wine adds another layer where things may go wrong. It's not like Wine knows how Windows behaves, or is supposed to behave.

jameskuyper

Quote from: Ters on February 04, 2014, 05:21:16 PM
It's not like Wine knows how Windows behaves, or is supposed to behave.

I'm confused by that comment. I thought that the whole purpose of wine was to allow programs designed and built to run under Windows to run under Linux, instead, with (to the greatest extent possible) the same behavior. Even attempting to achieve that goal would seem to require a great deal of knowledge about "how Windows behaves". If wine doesn't know that, what does it know?

Ters

Quote from: jameskuyper on February 04, 2014, 06:55:37 PM
I'm confused by that comment. I thought that the whole purpose of wine was to allow programs designed and built to run under Windows to run under Linux, instead, with (to the greatest extent possible) the same behavior.

That's the purpose, yes.

Quote from: jameskuyper on February 04, 2014, 06:55:37 PM
Even attempting to achieve that goal would seem to require a great deal of knowledge about "how Windows behaves". If wine doesn't know that, what does it know?

Windows is closed source. How it works is known only to Microsoft. Wine for the most part guesses as to how Windows works. While much of how Windows is supposed to behave is documented, not everything is, and some parts don't always behave as they should due to not only bugs (which some programs depend on), but also compatibility hacks put into Windows to allow programs depending on old Windows behaviour (including bugs) to continue to work. I have encountered programs that won't run on Wine. At least one of them appears to be due to a bug in the program that Windows somehow silently ignores, while another causes a crash on Windows Vista/7 that doesn't happen on XP and earlier.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Ters on February 04, 2014, 05:21:16 PM
I think Simutrans would feel more at home on Linux if it was made for Linux. Wine adds another layer where things may go wrong. It's not like Wine knows how Windows behaves, or is supposed to behave.
Life outside easier if installation packages are released ... (rpm, dev, tgz)
For the moment I find it much easier to use wine.

prissi

Simutrans saw its first release on Linux though ... the problem is that any distribution uses its own format (and requirements). Also 32 bit rpms clash on 64 bit (not to mention ARM and other architectures). The only way would be to build it from scratch, which would require some time and downloads from the person involved.

The problem is the 16 color mode, which is not even an official mode since Windows 7 (although still supported in Windows 8.1). Hence, if you are using wine, then use the GDI version.

Yona-TYT

I'm afraid I'll have to switch to windows to make a good report this.  :police:
It is more difficult in linux