News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Bug: Crash on start with segmentation fault

Started by cousjath, March 02, 2018, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cousjath

When I try to start simutrans-extended, I am given the option of what pak to use, when I choose pak128-britain.Ex I get a segmentation fault:

./simutrans-extended
Use work dir /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/
Reading low level config data ...
Parsed simuconf.tab for directory layout; multiuser = 1
Simutrans version 120.2.1 Extended Nightly development build 13.4 from Mar  2 2018 #61f000d
parse_simuconf() in program dir (config/simuconf.tab): Reading simuconf.tab successful!
SDL Driver: x11
Preparing display ...
Loading font 'font/prop.fnt'
font/prop.fnt successfully loaded as old format prop font!
Init done.
modal_dialogue( sel, magic_none, NULL, empty_objfilename );
Pak found: Pak128.Britain-Ex/
parse_simuconf() in pak (Pak128.Britain-Ex/config/simuconf.tab): Reading simuconf.tab successful!
Reading compatibility sound data ...
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/aec-regent-3-ff3170.wav to sample 0.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/leyland-atlantean-ff3170.wav to sample 1.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/bus-volvo-ninebilly.wav to sample 2.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/lwalker-class-40.wav to sample 3.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/lwalker-br-4mt-tank.wav to sample 4.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/jessepash-switch.wav to sample 5.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/decembered-brakes.wav to sample 6.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/vickyleao1-digging.wav to sample 7.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/gavel.wav to sample 8.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/dock.wav to sample 9.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/ohrwurm-demolition.wav to sample 10.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/kermite607-coin.wav to sample 11.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/beaches.wav to sample 12.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/forest.wav to sample 13.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/Water.wav to sample 14.
could not load wav (Couldn't open /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/desert.wav)
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/tropic.wav to sample 15.
could not load wav (Couldn't open /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/mediterran.wav)
could not load wav (Couldn't open /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/temperate.wav)
could not load wav (Couldn't open /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/tundra.wav)
could not load wav (Couldn't open /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/rocky.wav)
could not load wav (Couldn't open /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/arctic.wav)
Loading BDF font 'font/cyr.bdf'
Reading city configuration ...
Reading electricity consumption configuration ...
Reading menu configuration ...
Reading object data from Pak128.Britain-Ex/...
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/laxspotter97-boeing747-400.wav to sample 16.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/androo4519-btu9613t.wav to sample 17.
Loaded /home/jonathan/Software/simutrans-ex/simutrans/Pak128.Britain-Ex/sound/laurie-gwr-railcar.wav to sample 18.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have found a workaround, if I start it with -nosound this it works fine.

I am using the latest nightly on Ubuntu 17.10 Mate.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report: I am sorry that you are having trouble. Do you know how to use GDB? It would be helpful to have a backtrace of this crash so that I can investigate it further. It looks as though the problem relates to the sound system in some way.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

cousjath

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a try at using gbt and getting the backtrace and I get (using Extended Nightly development build 13.4 from Apr  4 2018 #8838b60):

#0  0x00007ffff74a2c88 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#1  0x00007ffff74a2e85 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007ffff74a33b7 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00000000007c59da in ?? ()
#4  0x0000000000450e10 in ?? ()
#5  0x0000000000447447 in ?? ()
#6  0x0000000000449cae in ?? ()
#7  0x0000000000449d60 in ?? ()
#8  0x0000000000449e8f in ?? ()
#9  0x000000000044a50c in ?? ()
#10 0x00000000006ec84e in ?? ()
#11 0x0000000000701c77 in ?? ()
##12 0x00007ffff67cf1c1 in __libc_start_main (main=0x410040 <main>, argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffe078, init=<optimised out>, fini=<optimised out>, rtld_fini=<optimised out>,
    stack_end=0x7fffffffe068) at ../csu/libc-start.c:308

I tried to see if debugging symbols for libsdl are available but they are no longer in the repositories in Ubuntu.

DrSuperGood

Seems it is crashing inside SDL2? I think SDL2 is GPU accelerated (OpenGL) so maybe it is graphic driver related (this is a long shot so likely not the case)?

jamespetts

Are you able to compile Simutrans-Extended yourself so as to have debugging symbols? I suspect that a NULL or bad reference is being passed to an SDL function somewhere, but it would help me to know where.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

cousjath

I can confirm it is graphics driver related. I switched to the X.org driver (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1.0.15-2) and simutrans-extended starts. Sound works, but midi does not, in the sound settings it says Invalid MIDI index,

The driver that does not work with simutrans-extended is the NVidia driver (384.111). My graphics card is a GeForce GT 1030.

jamespetts

Interesting - thank you for letting me know. I am unsure whether this is a bug in the graphics driver, in SDL2 or in Simutrans, and, if the latter, whether it is specific to Simutrans-Extended, or is common with Simutrans-Standard.

In relation to that latter point, can you check whether this bug can be reproduced with Simutrans-Standard?

cousjath

It does not occur when I use simutrans-standard 120.2.2. Checking the dependencies for standard and it uses libSDL1.2, whereas extended uses libSDL2.

I can confirm it is a bug in libSDL 2.0.6, I managed to download, build and install version 2.0.8 from source and extended starts successfully, although music fails to work.

jamespetts

Thank you for the confirmation - that is very helpful. I will have to look into upgrading the libSDL version on the build server.