News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

City roads are "bridleway" with timeline off

Started by Vladki, August 21, 2016, 09:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I have noticed this on the testing network server (server.exp.simutrans.com). The game was started with timeline on, but later switched to timeline off. Now as the city grows, it rebuilds public roads to bridleways, thus disrupting road traffic (too low weight limit). I suggest that city roads either obey the timeline even if it is off, or that the most modern cityroad is used instead of oldest. A game with timeline off should be IMHO the "easy" game.

jamespetts

Thank you for that. I have now changed the method for selecting city and inter-city roads in the case where the timeline is disabled to choose more suitable roads.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Thanks, seems fixed, server game now builds hot-rolled asphalt road 280 mm by default (no-timeline, game year 2032)

Vladki

I have restarted the server with freshly compiled executable and pakset, and foud that some city roads got rebuilt again to bridleway. I have repaired a piece of road at trnava - new cemetery, but left a piece at osterskar - builders yard as evidence

jamespetts

You write that "some" city roads were thus built - can you elaborate as to which ones? Is this on new map generation, or the expansion of roads?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

If you look at the server game you'll find about 3 tiles of bridleway near the builders yard at Osterskar. The road was there before - I think that the houses nearby have grown (upgraded) and rebuilt the road. The same happened at the cemetery - 2-3 tiles of existing (intercity) road on both sides of rail crossing have been changed to bridleway as the city grew closer.

I have tried to grow the Osterskar city as public player and the roads have been upgraded to asphalt.

jamespetts

This is very odd. Are you able to define circumstances in which a specific tile of road will reliably downgrade to a bridelway?

Vladki

It happened again on the test servergame - see the railway station at Selpice - there is a long continuous stretch of bridleway, destroying bus lines.

It looks like most of the bridleways - anywhere on the map, are in places where city buildings are only one one side of the road, while on the other is something else: factory (builders yard at Osterskar), station and fields at Selpice, open country (Bohdanovce), runway (Kopanka), rail track (Trnava - near railway works ZOS), church at Modranka

jamespetts

Hmm - is there a way in which I can reliably reproduce a specific piece of road being downgraded to a bridleway so that I can capture the actual mechanism by which that specific tile is downgraded in the debugger?

Vladki

I dont know. It always happened while the server was running unattended. And btw should not the server stop if nobody is connected?

I would try to fix those roads on local copy and turn fast fwd on.

jamespetts

The server will stop if nobody is connected if the relevant setting is set, otherwise not. If this setting is set and the server does not stop, this would be a separate bug; if you find that this is so, I should be grateful if you could post a fresh bug report.

jamespetts

I am having considerable difficulty reproducing the bridleway issue. I can see bridleways when I load the server, but they do not seem to generate when I run the game. I am afraid that I will need some more detailed steps about exactly how to reproduce this if I am to track this down (such as a saved game in which it is known that a specific tile of road will be downgraded in a specific month in the future after being loaded).

Vladki

I have tried running the game from server with fast forward, but no bridleways appeared. I have fixed most of them on server by growing the cities as public player. However one city - bohdanovce does not grow at all. It may be related bug to bridleways, as there are also some of them. I managed to get the city grow again by upgrading all roads in the city by hand. Server game is left in the non-growing state.

Vladki

Hmm, it happened again, while nobody watched... And again it is in places where there is a station (trnava cargo), railroad (ZOS depot) or runway (kopanka) next to the road.

jamespetts

Very odd. It will be extraordinarily difficult to fix this issue unless there is a way of reproducing it reliably at a certain place and time.

Vladki

After almost a week of running on the server, bridleways again appeared on random places. With the most strange one being inside the tunnel. All of them were quite heavily used, which makes me think if they were not worn out as the owner is long bankrupted - but freeplay is on. But all the tiles in tunnel should have the same wear and indeed they have 97% condition, both asphalt and bridleways...

jamespetts

Quote from: Vladki on December 21, 2016, 07:39:23 PM
After almost a week of running on the server, bridleways again appeared on random places. With the most strange one being inside the tunnel. All of them were quite heavily used, which makes me think if they were not worn out as the owner is long bankrupted - but freeplay is on. But all the tiles in tunnel should have the same wear and indeed they have 97% condition, both asphalt and bridleways...

It will be fantastically difficult to fix this unless there is a method of reliably reproducing this (i.e., a specific tile that is known to downgrade incorrectly at a specific time in a specific saved game).

Vladki

I know, this is like ghost coming and changing the roads... Just noticed that newly built roads say Built: January,0, some older roads 1970. Nothing in between

jamespetts

Very odd. I am also away from my usual computer at the moment, so cannot easily work on the code: I will have to look into this when I get back from my Christmas break in January. Until then, I am working on rescaling/improving the road vehicles.

Vladki

I have a susipcion that the server.exp.simutrans.com does not pause while players are disconnected....

The bridleway conversion seems to happen in places where city is growing along an existing road, or more precisely when a road is being taken over by city. And most often when such road should be upgraded to more modern, and/or has been used - i.e. worn out (not completely, but not 100% new).

I know this his hard to track, just putting down more info for future bug hunting...

jamespetts

Is this server set to pause when disconnected? If it is, but it fails to do so, that is a separate bug in its own right which will need to be investigated.

Vladki

pause_server_no_clients was commented in simuconf.tab. Well, let's see after next update/crash/restart.

jamespetts

Ves

I checked the swedish server today and that was way out in the future!

Rollmaterial

Here the roads at city edges wear out completely without upgrading (i. e. "upgrade" to mothballed road).

jamespetts

Quote from: Rollmaterial on December 28, 2016, 11:32:14 PM
Here the roads at city edges wear out completely without upgrading (i. e. "upgrade" to mothballed road).

Who is the owner of these roads?

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

jamespetts

This does not seem to be correct behaviour, in that case. If you can give steps reliably to reproduce the occurrence of this phenomenon, I will look into trying to fix it when I get back home in around the second week of January.

Rollmaterial

Actually it applies only to city roads that are "unowned or privately owned" and outside the city limits (i. e. in "open countryside").

Vladki

Quote from: Rollmaterial on December 28, 2016, 11:32:14 PM

I had also one such example. Perhaps the road is not renewed because the owner is very deep in debt (milions) although freeplay is on. So no bankruptcy.

jamespetts

Vladki

They are public right of way, but It is hard to guess what they were before... It seems that some were public right of way and some not.

jamespetts

The code should work as follows: if the way is worn out and in need of renewing, renew it unless:

(1) it is owned by a player with insufficient money to upgrade it;
(2) it has been marked by a player not to be upgraded; and
(3) it is owned by nobody, is not in a town and is not a public right of way.

There should not be circumstances in which city roads are not in the towns of which they are roads. Are you getting circumstances occurring where roads are failing to upgrade, and are becoming degraded, where the above do not apply?