News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

City roads are "bridleway" with timeline off

Started by Vladki, August 21, 2016, 09:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

1) - As said before - all players are bankrupt, but freeplay is enabled
2) - I don't know how to do (or check) that
3) - nobody - yes, not in town - probably yes, public right of way - sometimes yes sometimes not

On the server.exp.... there is a stretch of bridleway at 24,106 - 24,97 that is unowned, public right of way, has a sidewalk but is out of city limits. Some tiles of it are in quite bad condition (18%) some still good (85%). I think it was built as the city grew, and the growth was blocked by railway. Also other places where it happened were on the edge of the city, and on busy roads. So it may be that the piece of road was taken by the city (unowned), but the city limits did not extend that far. And a time to upgrade has come. Probably the public right of way makes a difference whether the road becomes mothballed (not public) or bridleway (public)

jamespetts

Hmm - I will have to look into this in more detail when I get home.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Quote from: Ves on December 28, 2016, 10:38:11 PM
I checked the swedish server today and that was way out in the future!

It seems that the new bridgwater brunel server is also running int he background - perhaps the default is NOT to pause.

jamespetts

Quote from: Vladki on December 30, 2016, 11:14:41 PM
It seems that the new bridgwater brunel server is also running int he background - perhaps the default is NOT to pause.

I think that that is explicitly set to pause - I shall have to look into this.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

I hope I have found a way to replicate the bridleway issue. On the server game I have prepared a scene - look at town Bohdanovce - there is a rail track alongside a road with some traffic. On the other side of the road, there is the town. It cannot grow to the other side of the road, as it is blocked by the track. As houses are built near the road - the road is taken over by nobody (unowned) - turned to public right of way, but is still outside of the city. And that is the piece of road that I expect to turn to bridleway, when it should be renewed.

Oh **** the server crashed... I have to recreate that again

Edit: server up again, set to run even wehn everybody is disconnected, let's see what happens with the roads

Vladki

So, I have one more appearance of the bridleway. It is on the server.exp.simutrans.com - (80,72) - near brewery Trnavan. That tile was owned by public player, public right of way, and is now within the town (just on the border), but may have not been when it turned to bridleway. It has the sidewalks, and is unowned now. The road tile next to it (in direction out of town) is in 99% condition, which means it was renewed recently, as there is quite some traffic on it.

The experiment setup at Bohdanovce has no result so far, but I expect the tile (128,99) to turn to bridleway or mothballed road soon, as it is in 25% condition.

jamespetts

Thank you for this. I have just pushed a possible fix for this, but have not had the chance to test it yet. Would you be able to test this and let me know whether the problem recurs? Thank you very much for all the information on this.

Vladki

Server has been restarted, let's run it a few days and see what happens.

Vladki

After leaving the server unattended for quite a while, no bridleways appeared, but one tile of road was mothballed.

Again it was on the edge (outside) of the city - unowned (with sidewalk), but this time it was NOT public right of way. Again it was a busy road, and neighboring tiles were most probably renewed. The road used to be owned by human player, but as the city grew near it was taken over by the city (unowned), but was still outside of the city borders and without public right of way.

jamespetts

This is intended behaviour - if the road is unowned and not a public right of way, it will not be maintained for free. A player who wishes to use it will need to maintain it.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on January 22, 2017, 11:23:20 PM
This is intended behaviour - if the road is unowned and not a public right of way, it will not be maintained for free. A player who wishes to use it will need to maintain it.
But the road was originally private. It would be impossible to watch if city has taken over my roads in large network game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jamespetts

Is the problem then that a city somehow takes over a road that ends up being outside a city border?

Vladki

jamespetts

That is very odd - can either of you narrow down the circumstances in which this occurs?

Vladki

The city borders are defined by city houses. Lets have a city from which you build a private road to somewhere. The city grows along the road. As it extends by building new houses it takes over your road. But it takes over not only the tile directly adjacent to the new house but also one more on both sides. The tile outwards from the city is then unowned, but outside of city limits, and not renewed when it should be.

jamespetts

Hmm - this is possibly a bug with the city borders algorithm, in that case.

Vladki

Well, this happened again on the server.exp.simutrans.com:13353
A piece of road that was "Public property" but without public right of way has been taken over by city (unowned + sidewalk), but still not within city borders. Subsequently it missed its renewal time and has been mothballed.