News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

factory info explained - jobs, goods in transit

Started by Vladki, December 03, 2016, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Hi, I can't find explanation of what are the numbers in factory info in experimental.

If I have jobs (available): 128 (0), does it mean that all jobs are filled and the factory is  working at its maximum? In the server game, all factories have available 0. Or is the job simulation not yet done, and the numbers have nothing to say yet?

What are the numbers at inputs. E.g.: supermarket has flour 0/140(1586)/175
In standard it was current storage/in transit (dunno what)/max storage
I do not get the middle numbers, they do not add up to in-transit values.

jamespetts

There are a number of quite separate things, and a currently incomplete plan to make them slightly less separate.

All buildings, including city buildings, industries and player buildings (e.g. depots) have a certain number of job slots, although (e.g. for houses) that number can be zero. All buildings with more than zero jobs are commuter targets. All generated commuting passengers pick their destination from the commuting targets. When a commuting passenger arrives at a building, it depletes the jobs available at that building by 1. This number slowly replenishes with time. When the of available jobs falls below 1, no commuting passengers can start their journey towards that building until the number reaches at least 1.

Currently, there is no connexion between the factory's output and these jobs. It is planned to link them at some point in the future, but that will be a major project.

The remaining numbers are based on the system from Standard, although this has now diverged from Standard: I altered the goods in transit system to make it work better, whereas in Standard, it was abandoned entirely and replaced by Dr. Supergood's "just in time" system.

The in transit numbers now includes goods in transit within a stop, as well as between a stop and an industry. Previously, goods would do this instantly, but, as of to-day's commits, this is now delayed by the time that it actually takes the goods to be hand-carted around the stop and between stop and industry, which, at 1km/h, can take quite a while and can end up with a large number of goods in transit not immediately visible to the player.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

The remaining numbers are based on the system from Standard, although this has now diverged from Standard: I altered the goods in transit system to make it work better, whereas in Standard, it was abandoned entirely and replaced by Dr. Supergood's "just in time" system.
No one uses JIT2. I planned to revise it at some stage to fix the problems it had but that is getting nowhere due to technical difficulties.

The in transit numbers now includes goods in transit within a stop, as well as between a stop and an industry. Previously, goods would do this instantly, but, as of to-day's commits, this is now delayed by the time that it actually takes the goods to be hand-carted around the stop and between stop and industry, which, at 1km/h, can take quite a while and can end up with a large number of goods in transit not immediately visible to the player.
Such goods should be listed at the stops involved. Unlike normal goods though, they are listed as slightly differently, possibly showing an ETA of sorts. Possibly even a new UI section specifically to list in-transit goods at stops. It is important players can track down where all goods are at any given time otherwise it could lead to confusion and even false bug reports.

I would recommend the destination stop (where the goods are in transit to) lists them. This way they can be listed as "expected" goods.

Vladki

So if i understand correctly the first in transit value is the sum of goods waiting at source stop, goods loaded on vehicles and goods being hand carted from destination stop to factory. What is the number in brackets?

Dr. Supergood: I use Jit2 when I play standard, but I have not played a real game for some time, just fiddling around and testing stuff. JIT2 is set as default for devel version of pak128.cs.

DrSuperGood

Dr. Supergood: I use Jit2 when I play standard, but I have not played a real game for some time, just fiddling around and testing stuff. JIT2 is set as default for devel version of pak128.cs.
Wow I really did not know that!

The changes I planned to JIT2 would fix some issues that were encountered with pak128 on a testing server. Mostly related to undersupply causing stuff to run at 100% with modulation as opposed to a constant amount. Also I was planning automatic input storage management since there was a problem with managing input storage amounts in pak64 and pak128. However my ISP got itself IP banned from the SVN server again so I decided to work on another unrelated project during winter.