News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Trains sending themselves to depot?

Started by AP, March 11, 2012, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

So I was playing the game this evening, and something freakish happened. My trains all started sending themselves to the depot. Was very annoying since suddenly my network dived into unprofitable freefall as I frantically attempted to make them not go there (needless to say, I lost that fight!).

My question is, is this a 'feature' being intelligent in some way (ie had every locomotive decided it was now obsolete because a key date had passed?), possibly a feature being a bit overzealous, but still. Or, is it a bug, in which case I shall at some point attempt to clarify the circumstances that are triggering it.

I know there is a "withdraw" button on the line in the lines dialogue - this was not pressed, nor had I been using the vehicle replacer.

Thanks!

Carl

I think this happens if a vehicle has been in "no route" status for a while. Not sure if it also happens under other conditions, too.

jamespetts

This is indeed a feature, as Carl describes it. The intention is to prevent vehicles from blocking ways indefinitely in multiplayer games when the player whose vehicles they are is not available.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Ah. That explains the secondary complication - very few of the trains could actually find a valid route to a depot, because I only had one, at one end of a fairly comlex single track network. And since there's no way to un-send a train to the depot, even if I moved them to the next station in their schedule (skipping the depot), they kept resetting trying to get there. All in all, it was just a bit of a mess!

Still, if I weren't so miserly frugal and built more depots and double track it would probably work okay. I'm not sure how to improve it further - the only thing would be for stuck and unable-to-route-to-depot trains to sell themselves on the spot, but that's probably a bit much.

jamespetts

If the vehicles cannot find a route to a depot when sent there automatically, they will teleport there. (Incidentally, a send to depot command can be reversed by deleting the depot from the convoy's schedule).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Really? Mine didn't seem to teleport. Maybe I wasn't patient enough though...

jamespetts

Hmm, that's odd. Can you upload a saved game?

ӔO

trains can also be sent to the depot if they are caught in two different replace commands.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Erik

I had the same, but just after changing the permissions to other company's to use my roads an tracks.
Vehicles goes the the depots and disappear.

It was with 10.4 Linux 64bit. I don't know it is still with 10.10.