News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

[devel-new 5820b12] Out of bounds crash

Started by Rollmaterial, December 03, 2015, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

As I can't double-post and my edit to my last crash report doesn't seem to have been noticed, I'll start a new thread.
The same game now crashes again a bit later.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I assume you mean here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14971.msg147642#msg147642

I think I remember seeing that thread with your edit previously, but I'm not sure, so let me explain and question a couple of things. Also, please note that either way, doubleposting is a pretty minor issues. We issue a "warning", but that's just the verbiage that the forum uses. If you look at the actual text sent, it's repeated that it's a "gentle reminder" a couple of times and specifically not meant as a huge warning. So the fact that I'm writing what's going to end up being a few paragraphs here is more than I have trouble summarizing it better. :)

From the standpoint of the rules: When you game crashed again and you came back to find that you were still the last poster, if it was less than twenty four hours from that last post, yes, you needed to edit your post. If it was greater than 24 hours, then double-posting doesn't apply. The rule was written that way (with a 24h time limit) specifically for a case like yours. :)

Also: If you edited your reply to follow the rule, but didn't think it was noticed — after the initial 24h, you'd be perfectly within your right to add a new post to that effect.

And really, when it comes down to it: the purpose of the rule is just that replies take up a lot of vertical space in the thread. The rule is meant to combat the problem where posters will, without thinking, post a sentence. Then make a new post with another sentence. Basically treating the thread more like a chat room. The rule is meant to combat that problem. There are cases where the rule is ignored - often when attachments become involved, or other long posts are made - where it becomes clear that having separate posts is desireable.

Although I'm generally a stickler for enforcing this rule, I find that I have to send the gentle reminder to a lot of new posters --- once. And usually it's okay after that.

So the last thing I want to have happen is have members of this forum be scared to post. :)

I'm very sorry to have caused this misunderstanding. I'm going to move this thread to forum discussion and make a post in the other thread to make sure it's "bumped" properly...

Rollmaterial

I had forgotten about the 24 hour rule, my bad. Thanks!

Isaac Eiland-Hall