News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Forum clock - time zone

Started by Milko, December 19, 2011, 04:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milko

Hello

The watch is set with the correct time zone? If I remember correctly it was once set to Greenwich Mean Time, now seems very different.

Giuseppe

Fabio

You can update your offset in your user profile :)

Milko

jamespetts

I can't see the setting for this in my user profile - has it been disabled by mistake?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

An_dz

It's in Look and Layout option James.

merry

Hmm. Interesting. To follow on from the above questions...
...Timezone offset is normally (international standard time method) set relative to GMT.

Peering into the murk, I see (mutter, mutter) the forum time appears - for no other reason than, I suppose, the server's physical location - to be GMT-6. Thus although I live at GMT, my time offset is not 0 (as autodetected by the forum) but +6. Huh?

This appears to be very arbitrary, and whilst the maths is bad enough for me (based as I am in GMT and thus only used to doing time offsets when I travel for business) i can't imagine what confusion/annoyance awaits for someone in (say) India. As they are already at Global Mean Time (GMT) +5.5, they then have to do two offsets added together.

Is there any really good reason that the forum time is somewhere in the central USA, and not an international standard time?

Have to say that this sort of issue activates my 'Aargh no, the net is not a us subsidiary, stop talking about zip-codes, we don't have 2-letter state codes (anyway I live in a county!) and most countries don't organise the US (or british) way, why is your form not international?' filter, which has a 'flame, abuse, rant' action set by default.... 
...but seriously, any really good reason? And I mean a reason for the forum time being local not global standard, and a reason for the forum time offset autodetect being wrong too?!

OK, the above looks like a rant, just read it constructively anyway and apply the late evening filter please :-)
TTFN & keep up the good (by that i mean amazing) work.
Merry

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It was fine for years without complaint.

I'm tired of this discussion.

Fine.

I'm changing it to GMT.

prissi

Just now everybody has to update his profile again, or they are six hours wrong ...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, what can one do when one receives complaints? **** if I do, **** if I don't.

IgorEliezer

My little Friendlily Face, I think we're just getting mad on a so-minor thing, aren't we?  :D