SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Compile trouble

Started by hreintke, November 18, 2012, 11:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hreintke

LS,

I am trying to add a function ot fabrik_t and made declation as this

uint32 fabrik_t::get_matched_ausgang (const fabrik_t *fb)

And use it in here

fabrik_t *fab = get_fab( welt, supplier );
if(fab) {
    int w;
    w = get_matched_ausgang (fab);

But get compile error :
'fabrik_t::get_matched_ausgang' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const fabrik_t' to 'fabrik_t &'
1>          Conversion loses qualifiers

Tried several other too, can someone point me to the error I make ?

Herman

Dwachs

Maybe you should make get_ausgang const:

uint32 fabrik_t::get_matched_ausgang (const fabrik_t *fb) const
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

hreintke

Dwachs,

Thanks, That worked.
However I don't understand yet enough from const usage why it did. Need some study on that.

Herman

Ters

Inside a const method, the object this points to is const. In other words, a const method promises to (and is unable to) modify the object it is called on. If you have a const object, const reference or const pointer, you can only call const methods on it. If you could call non-const methods on it, you would change an object you're not allowed to (and/or have promissed not to) modify.

Though you don't provided much context surrounding your use of get_matched_ausgang, it would seem to me that it is inside another const method (since the error message said this const). Since your inside a method that promises not to change the object it's called on, you can only cause methods that uphold the same promise (by being const).

(There is a legal loophole for modifying parts of an object inside a const method, but that's for very special circumstances. One can also cast away the const, but that's an evil thing to do.)

hreintke

Ters,

Thanks, clarifies why it happened and why making it const solved.
My code is within 

void fabrik_t::info_conn(cbuffer_t& buf) const

Herman