News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

alternative routes for passengers

Started by Fr0ggy, May 31, 2012, 07:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr0ggy

Hello,

I haven't played Simutrans pak128 often so please forgive me if this question is stupid ;)

I've the following high speed trains network running between 3 towns and their main stations:
Line 1: Town A <-> Town B
Line 2: Town A <-> Town C
Line 3: Town B <-> Town C

After a while I decided to build an airport in town B and C. The airport in town C is accessed by a shuttle from the main station. The airport in town B is a bit outside the town next to the train track so I built a train station and modified my train lines as following:
Line 1: Town A <-> Airport B <-> Town B
Line 2: Town A <-> Town C
Line 3: Town B <-> Airport B <-> Town C

I now tried to let a plane run between Airport B and Airport C but nobody boarded the planes. After a quick research I found out the passengers always go the lazy way - without transfer.

But as I already built the airports I decided to stop my train line 3 so there wouldn't be anymore a direct train line running from town B to C. Airport B is still connected to the main station in town B via the line 1. But now all the passengers are choosing the train via town A and still nobody is using my airports.

I really don't mind them using the trains but I also want to have at least some of my passengers to use the airplane. Is there any way to realize my idea?

Ideally I'd like to put line 3 in order again as well but I really doubt this is possible...

Thanks for your help and I hope I explained my problem well enough :)

Ters

Simutrans is very simple, though somewhat unrealistic in this regard: Passengers (and goods) take the route with the fewest transfers.

From B to C with train: B -> A -> C = 2 transfers
From B to C with airplane: B -> airport -> airport -> C = 3 transfers

The solution is to either increase the number of transfers on the train only route, or decrease the number of transfers on the airplane route. Though if you get it wrong, passengers will go fra B to C (or the other way around) with airplane, and then take the train to A. Or they will take the airplane from B to C (or the other way around) and take the train route for the return journey, making traffic asymmetric and leading to reduced profitability. Because of the latter, I try to avoid loops with even number of routes in my network.

Fr0ggy

Thanks for the quick response Ters. Unfortunately this is what I already thought... :(

Just one last question: What if the plane and train way have the same amount of transfers - will the passengers divide on both ways or just use the train or plane?

Combuijs

There will be no divide, one of the routes will win.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Ters

And as I wrote, in my experience, different routes may win in each direction. So planes may run full in one direction, and empty in the other.

Combuijs

Quote from: Ters on June 01, 2012, 04:36:17 AM
And as I wrote, in my experience, different routes may win in each direction. So planes may run full in one direction, and empty in the other.

Yes, in my experience too. A to B is considered a different route compared to B to A.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Dwachs

Route search searches shortest route in terms: sum of number of transfers (multiplied by 8 ?) and intermediate stops.

Quote from: Combuijs on June 01, 2012, 08:00:05 AM
Yes, in my experience too. A to B is considered a different route compared to B to A.
With circular routes, this is very likely to happen. The same applies if there is more than one shortest route. The program selects the shortest route it finds first.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Fr0ggy

Ok thank you all for your quick help :)

(This topic can be closed now I assume)