News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Why my planes do not generate revenue whatsoever, what is wrong?

Started by NightElfik, July 21, 2012, 04:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightElfik

Hello,
I've created two large bus networks and after connecting them with planes, the planes are "earning" 0.76cc per trip (so they are deeply in read because of running costs). I saw one plane to earn 12000 but it was only once.

I have so many people at airports that I even can not transfer them with 10  planes (214 pax each) but the planes are not earning.

Why is that? I can not attach my save since it is 207 KB and max I am allowed to attach is 64 KB. Thanks in advance.

jamespetts

Sorry that you're having trouble. May I ask - what pakset are you using?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

When you check the planes in flight - are they full of passengers during the flight?

Carl

Might this be related to the refunds feature? If the airport is crowded, you might be paying out a lot for passengers whose journeys end up taking too long...

NightElfik

I downloaded latest zip file which contains Britain-ex pack. My planes are full, no refunds on airports.

Uploaded save file on GDrive: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw3uJH_ZleRNQnRhaEY0WGJ5MGc

jamespetts

Hmm - I can't seem to download this: I am just directed to a generic Google page. Can you upload to http://files.simutrans-germany.com?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Thank you for posting that - that is helpful. The issue is this: you are playing with the timeline off. This means that the default speed bonus values, rather than speed bonus values varying with time, will be used. The default speed bonus values are very high for aircraft. Because, in Simutrans-Experimental, aircraft wait a very long time at airports (as they do in real life), the actual recorded average speed of aircraft is quite low; and, in any event, the defaults in Standard were designed with top speeds, rather than average speeds, in mind.

I do strongly recommend playing with the timeline on, as Pak128.Britain-Ex is not designed to be played with the timeline off. However, I have modified the default speed bonus values so that, if anyone wishes to play with the timeline off in future, this problem does not recur (this modification will be present in the next release).

As an aside, aircraft make a really very large amount of money indeed with the modified speed bonuses, so they must be made commensurately expensive to build/run (as, indeed, they are in reality).

NightElfik

Thanks for answer, I will try to start with timeline on :) I've tired it before but I found horses to be really non-profitable (on non-pasagners routes like steel chain).

jamespetts

Hmm, that's a balancing issue, I think. I shall have to look into that. Would you be able to provide more specifics?

NightElfik

I do not have any save game (auto-saves really should not replace each other since saves are small :/ ). I remember, that simple pax horse around the city earned about 300cc (don't know per what time, maybe month?), but coal + iron ore horses was barely profitable -- about 20cc (per same time). Steel (made from iron+coal) route to some factory was also barely profitable but goods from factory to shop was always in red (like -50cc). I had to sell goods from factory to shop otherwise whole chain will stop earning. So whole chain was not profitable (or barely, but was not worth the effort). I used single horses where it was possible (double horses otherwise) to have least maintenance costs.

Maybe I can investigate more, I thought that this was mine mistake rather than balance issue.

jamespetts

It's a balance issue, I think. The next version of Pak128.Britain-Ex will have higher revenues for freight, so hopefully, this issue will be resolved.

el_slapper

didn't play experimental since a few months, but I had tough times earning money with freight at horse era. Passengers were OK.