News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

"Tractive effort", "thrust" and "torque"

Started by jamespetts, August 10, 2012, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

A brief question to users of Experimental, if I may: do people think that it would be more or less clear if what is now universally called "tractive effort" were renamed to "torque" when dealing with road vehicles, and "thrust" when dealing with aircraft so that, for example, a 'bus would have a "torque" of 25kN, and a jet aircraft a "thrust" of 500kN?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Torque would not be correct, as that is measured in Nm (or kNm). Unless you use different units for different vehicles of course! Mind you is the listed tractive effort maximum, continuous or starting? I'd be tempted to go with "maximum accelerative force" but that's a bit of a mouthful...

jamespetts

The tractive effort figures represent starting tractive effort. What about "thrust" for aircraft - do you think that that will be clearer or less clear?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

kierongreen

Thrust for aircraft makes more sense to me.

jamespetts

Hmm. I have just realised that this discussion is somewhat superfluous, as tractive effort is not specifically named as such in the depot window, but follows power in brackets thus: "Power: 1000Kw, 98Kn". Apologies for a  wasted thread...