The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Reviving the Starter Guide [Work in progress]  (Read 5016 times)

Offline eipi

• Languages: DE EN FR ES C++ LaTeX
Reviving the Starter Guide [Work in progress]
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »
It has been three years since the Starter Guide has been updated for the last time, so I think it needs an upgrade. Over the past two weekends I've been working on a new version typeset in LaTeX. This is what I've got so far:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53679800/Simutrans/StarterGuide/SimuStarterGuideDraft.pdf

Over the next few weeks I will try to add new chapters as well as some more screenshots.

Now I've got two questions:
  • I am planning to release the source code with the pdf document. Can I license it under the Simutrans Artistic License, or should I rather stick to the GPL or a custom license?
  • What about the layout in general? I sticked to the default font for now since it is best to read, at least for me.

Feedback is always welcome. :)

Offline Dwachs

• DevTeam, Coder/patcher
  • Administrator
  • Languages: EN, DE, AT
Re: Reviving the Starter Guide [Work in progress]
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:26:10 AM »
If you are writing in Latex, you should know the answers to your question: first content, then format, fonts, and license :)

Nice that somebody works on this again.

It would be a good idea to synchronize your work with the wiki. Ie make content available in both formats.

Offline VS

• Senior Plumber (Devotee)
  • Devotee
  • Vladimír Slávik
    • VS's Simutrans site
  • Languages: CS,EN
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:09:17 AM »
Starter guide = good :)

Offline vilvoh

• One of the good guys
  • Administrator (Inactive)
  • I'm the constructor, the architect
    • Escala real
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
As an old contributor in this project, as far as I remember, the guides were under the same license as Simutrans (AL) but if you want to reboot the project, you can change it. About the layout, I think the current one is quite clean and clear. If you need help, just ask. ;)