News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

build hotels for the tourist attractions on the outskirts of city:

Started by Yona-TYT, August 19, 2012, 12:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

hi all, noce if calling much attention the idea of ​​building hotels for tourist attractions that are located outside the city at any rate there goes..

-the Hotels will be built near the exterior tourist attractions  to accommodate passengers and keep them for a longer time, the duration will be determined by the distance that the trip passenger to reach the attraction.
the construction of these hotels are done by the players, as if they were extensions of stops.
unlike the extensions of stops, in this case the passengers pay for their stay.
:)

Roads

I'm pretty much for anything that adds variety to the game if it allows for some strategy or decision making.  If building the hotels it is simply a no brainer that the player will make more money if he does than if he doesn't, then honestly I can't see that it would value to the game.

That said, in my current game (pak128 around 1955), it is a struggle to stay solvent so a decision of whether to build a motel, electrify an industry or add a shuttle stop for a few level 2 buildings seems like a decision with strategic implications to me. :)

But really there needs to be a downside as well as an upside to allow for real strategic play.  Maybe the "build hotel" button comes on only when the player is financially strapped and he has to gamble on whether the hotel will push him into bankruptcy or help him claw his way back to solvency.

Yona-TYT

passengers take time to return, so the vehicles return empty or will have wait days until they return the passengers

Ters

Some attractions are kind of hotellish in the first place, at least in pak64. And passengers don't immediately return today anyway as far as I can tell. (In fact, I get the impression that the return passenger are generated at the same time as passengers going to the attraction are generated.) So in essence, this can be done by pak maintainers by extending the attraction with a few tiles containing images of a hotel.

Roads

In pak128, as far as I can tell passengers not returning to anywhere they go is a fact of life.  My guess is that it is how the engine controls your profit.  In fact I did a little parody here -  http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10323.0 just to illustrate how extreme this gets sometimes.

IMHO, this causes a huge of amount of micro management.

prissi

Innercity passenger do not return.

Intercity, factory and attraction bound passenger do return.

Same for mail, with one expection: Mail to attractions is ideally 4x less than from attractions (since most postcards will be sent from them).

(Return meas a return pasenger is generated at the same time. It does not mean this passenger take the same route; just image a one way cicle line. It would make one sense to use it in one direction.)

Ters

As far as I can tell, this means that a passenger doesn't return from the attraction. It stops existing once it reaches it's designated destination, as do goods. The passenger generated to ensure traffic both ways has possibly left long ago.

Furthermore, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think goods and passengers track where they originally came from. Doing so would easily consume several hundred megabytes of memory. Making the same passenger go there and back again would therefore likely not be worth it.

Roads

IMO, passengers are not like goods.  They do return home.  If they take a bus to a factory to work, they don't begin living at the factory.  After their shift ends, they go home.  Same is true for attractions.  I don't think it necessary to track individual passengers but I certainly think it is reasonable for the game engine to generate just as many return passengers as it generates for the trip initially.

As for the mail...I dunno...I've long since...lost all hope...

Ters

Quote from: Roads on August 19, 2012, 08:44:13 PM
I don't think it necessary to track individual passengers but I certainly think it is reasonable for the game engine to generate just as many return passengers as it generates for the trip initially.

It does. It's just that a worker departs from home and from work at the same time. Very quantum like, but then Simutrans is a place where time and space behaves very differently.

There might however be cases where Simutrans fails at doing this, though.

isidoro

If the return way had to be simulated to such a level of detail, a sort of persistence should also be simulated, i.e., workers certainly go back home, but also go to work from the same place to the same factory the day after.

Yona-TYT

in the case of workers, only those who live far away will use the hotel until your their working hours is have finished and have to return home

Ters

There is no true concept of days in Simutrans. And according to whatever there is (one of several conversion factors from game ticks to the date in the status bar), even a modern vehicle can spend several days to complete a route. A passenger may spend months getting from one end of the map to another. For playability reasons, time flows so differently in Simutrans that trying to simulate stuff on a time scale less than a month won't really work.

Roads

Yes Ters, I understand.  It is just that the game can simulate workers using a bus to travel back and forth to work everyday.  In fact I think it really does that now.  I have shuttles to almost all my industrial sites and the travel back and forth is pretty much stable.  It appears the workers travel back and forth twice a month.  Of course there are exceptions but it is generally the case, enough so that I don't have to check it very often or see a red route on my line management window.

Also it appears that travel between cities is fairly stable and I think would be much more so were it not for the attractions that spawn such as the marketplace.  Those I find to be just a pain because they generate huge amounts of passengers going to the attraction but not many leaving it.  If you buy buses, trains, planes to move these passengers, you lose money on that venture because the influx of passengers usually will not last long enough to make the additional vehicles profitable.  If you don't then often the "one way" passengers take up the available space and prevent passengers who would travel through the city from getting there.  I have considered having the Public Player to use his bull dozer...