News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Layout order of station extension buildings

Started by z9999, December 20, 2008, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z9999

I want to ask the correct layout order of station extension buildings.

There is a comment in "mhz-station.dat"
# Order N,E,S,W
And old change.log said
23-Jan-2006(prissi):
   ADD: automatic alignment of station extension buildings (must be either defined with dim=x,y,layout (layout=1,2 or 4), x>=y and following order N E S W)

This was correct before you change the code.
And so, I made a sample image on wiki.

But current "Vorplatz" is different. Its order is N,W,S,E.

Why did you change this ?
Many people are disturbed and complaining about this change.
Because many old addons don't work correctly any more.

So, I ask you again, which is the correct one ?

prissi

Correct is relative. The are also buildings, which have rotations. Their rotation where similar to the vorplatz when the map is rotated. The loading bay is also S E N W (and the vorplatz is the same S E N W now).

Harbour has same rotation too. Thus I think the "correct" way needs to be S E N W. However, I get the impression you feel the offset should be the other way round?

z9999

So, we had been making incorrect addons for about 3 years, because of incorrect document and incorrect programs.
Okay, thank you.

prissi

No, do not get me wrong. I was just asking, if you mean the order should be better NWSE instead. The rotation issue is not solved, thus it can be made like that. Honestly, if I would have more than 30 min an evening the rotation issue would have been fixed long ago.

Also harbour rotation and the like were introduced long ago before map rotation. There the order did not matter; but with rotation NWSE or SENW is neccessary.

z9999

Old code in 100.0 worked well with old pak set.
New code in nightly worked well with new pak set.

Both of them are correct code for their pak set.
So, you don't need to write new code.

prissi

No, I mean the rotation was wrong way for old buildings. An order of N E S W is incompatible with the rotation routines. Apart from that, starting with NWSE is ok too.

However, for most buildigns the differences between N and S are so subtle, nobady aparently noted it until the new vorplatz.

And the automatic layout is still screewed ...

z9999

[off topic]
Maybe, rotation is not a problem for them. Because people who use many addons don't use rotate.
If there is a bad addon which don't have correct rotate image, simutrans break their savegame completely.
Yes, simutrans tests rotate state when saving a game, but it tests after opening and starting to write a file. ... and aborts.

I think it should test before opening a file and starting to write a file.
Or, it should open a temporary save file, and rename it after completing to write successfully.

prissi

[offtopic]
A broken rotation cannot be saved. The game will be broken due to incomplete building and
factories pointing nowhere after rotation. Thus it tries to rotate to a sucessful state. (Same before factory building). Only f that fails it aborts saving.
[/offtopic]

z9999

new auto alignment for stations extensions (again with NWSE order)

Tested in r2178

"N" and "S" are wrong.
This is not the same as before.

Old version is "N,E,S,W", if I use your language, it is "SWNE", not "NWSE".

[EDIT]
I really don't understand what you want to do.

- I called old behavior as "N,E,S,W", and new behavior as "N,W,S,E", because your old changelog called so.
- But you called new behavior as "S E N W" in this topic. If we use this naming rule, old behavior should be called "S W N E".
- You said "but with rotation NWSE or SENW is neccessary". Which means it is impossible to use old behavior.
- So, I said "New code in nightly worked well with new pak set. So, you don't need to write new code.".

Why do you change the behavior and confuse again ?

prissi

As I said I was not completely finished. And you complained, that I changed order, Thus I changed them that [ 0 ] is south of track, [ 2 ] is north of track, to keep at least two same with old system. Sorry, that I am so slow these days.