News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Simutrans on Steam

Started by VS, September 01, 2012, 09:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

Not much, I'll try to explain, I did some search and found some info: (I don't use Steam)

Steam have some features, like:
  • Taking screenshots
  • Chat/voice
  • Steam cloud (this one is great for saving configs and saves among devices)
  • Achievements and leaderboards
  • Player searching for multiplayer
  • in-game access to Steam Community
  • Anti-cheat
and hotkeys for such features.

Those features are available trough Steamworks, a C++ written API, and only chosen features can be enabled.

To me the most appealing features are:
Voice chat, Steam cloud and Player searching for multiplayer.

But this API is not available to anyone, it's only available for Steam games. We must ask to join Steam, the community will vote and if we meet the criteria we will be able to have access to Steam API and be available on Steam, totally not worth for so little features.

I couldn't find any info about the games you mentioned that had Steam support to have such support.

flyingcats

Hmm, then I will have to ask Teeworlds devs if they have done anything that makes their game support steam. Maybe all SDL games support Steam? I've not looked it up. I'll post an update if I find that I was wrong or right.

By the way Teeworlds is not a steam game. It's an open source project whose devs don't like making it available for Steam as they feel it would separate the communities, so why Teeworlds supports some basic features of Steam while other games do not, I have to research.

An_dz

Simutrans have a SDL version for Windows. You may try it.

flyingcats

Quote from: An_dz on May 16, 2013, 04:33:23 PM
Simutrans have a SDL version for Windows. You may try it.
Well not me, I've not touched Windows for years. Sorry for all trouble. I got my questions answered.