News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

An additional kind of attraction

Started by Bear789, September 13, 2012, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear789

If you play a map long enough, like I do, all cities will look like the same, because if they grow enough they'll build all the available attractions. This is especially noticeable with Pak Britain, because all the town will have sport fields, city walls, castle keeps, multiple cathedrals, etc, but all the paks are somehow "guilty" of this (last time I played Pak 64, a couple of years ago, I had Disneylands everywhere).
To make things more varied and interesting there could be a third type of attractions. Alongside the courrent monuments, that appear one per map (should be used for unique landmarks), and common attractions, that can appear in any city depending on growth and frequency (should be used for common public buildings like schools, parks, hospitals, religious facilities, etc.), I suggest to add rare attractions (used for things like cathedrals, castles, theme parks), that spawn only in a limited number per map, set by the pak mantainers. It could be a fixed amount or, even better, depending on the number of cities in the map, so that those attractions won't be too common on small maps and too rare on big ones.

prissi

That is simply not true. You can easily have two or more attractions at the same level, or a chance with an attraction. pak64 does not have all the attractions in all cities.

Carl

Bear789,

You might be interested in Pak64.Experimental, which attempts to realise some of the goals you mention. Check out the description of its changes to attractions here, and the latest version release is here. The implementation is not without its problems, but it's certainly an interesting difference.

Bear789

Prissi,

Maybe I should post in the pak forums, then, because my cities are overflowded with attractions.

carbaker,

Thanks. I tried Experimental some time ago, I'll give it another look.