News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Scaling back servers

Started by Ashley, February 06, 2013, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

I'm probably going to have to scale back the number of game servers I run as I'd like to move to a less expensive VPS provider to cut costs. I'll try to keep at least one pak64 and one pak128 one up though.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

benjad

:(

When... and can you tell us details of how you currently have it set up.  Want to learn about it. 

kierongreen

Costs can be shared as for the main simutrans server, I'd chip in a bit each month even though I don't use them myself :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Are things stable enough such that the server doesn't crash? If so, perhaps we could run a couple or so on "my" server - it is, after all, also the Simutrans community server.

paco_m

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 07, 2013, 03:31:14 PM
Are things stable enough such that the server doesn't crash? If so, perhaps we could run a couple or so on "my" server - it is, after all, also the Simutrans community server.
The game might crash but even that is rare, normally only the clients are crashing xD - I never had a server crash because of simutrans running...

Ashley

I'd definitely encourage others to run their own game servers. It's really not that difficult to do and has a very small CPU and memory footprint these days. I worry that people have kind of come to rely upon me to run "official" servers which wasn't my intent. I don't have an awful lot of time to actually maintain the games which I think has led to a lot of frustration for players.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Fifty

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance when it comes to administration, etc. of community servers to take some burden off of the server operators (whether Timothy, Issac, or others).

And thank you, Timothy for hosting free servers for us netgamers! You've provided many hours of fun :)
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

jamespetts

On the question of stability - Experimental has never, to my knowledge, crashed my server itself, although the game itself sometimes crashes. I can't imagine that Standard would be any less stable.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Lmallet

For those who have been running servers, how is your experience bandwidth-wise?  I have been thinking of building a home server for a while, and might consider having a Simutrans server running on it as well.  I am currently running on DSL 6/1 with a 75GB cap which i suspect is not enough, but my ISP is offering cable and there are rumors of better packages coming.

paco_m

For the server the most important thing is the upload rate and this is a problem with most personal/home internet connections - even if you have a "fast" connection which always means fast download rate, the upload might be low and unstable.

jamespetts

I don't really recommend hosting this at home unless you have a datacentre in your spare room.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.