News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Floor & Doors size

Started by Roads, October 03, 2012, 07:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

pak128:

Is there a template - I guess you could call it that - for doors?  I've noticed that most of the building's doors look to be roughly the same height/width and I'm wondering if there is a standardized height and width.  If no template can anyone tell me how many pixels wide and high a door should be?  Let's say height from the first row of pixels on the left and width, well how many pixels in a straight line from left to right?

Or...however it can be demonstrated...

Sarlock

From the Pak128 reference material:

One square represents approximately 20x20 meters, and thus 12 pixels are about 2 meters. This scale applies to buildings, and other terrain objects.

For buildings this means those pixel values:
•A story (floor) is about 14 pixels tall. 12 or 16 pixels may be ok for extremely small or large buildings. Avoid other heights, this looks very strange when combined with the existing buildings. Believe me!
•Standard windows usually have a height of 8-10 8-6 pixels. (special sized windows of course keep appropriate sizes)

--------

The best bet is probably to take a few sample doors and measure their size in pixels.  From the above reference, the average door should be around 12 pixels as a door is about 2 metres in height.  Commercial store doors would be a bit higher.  Looking at a few buildings it seems that doors are in the 12-14 pixel range, so this is about right.  Doors are about a metre wide, so that makes them around 6-7 pixels wide.  Most of the buildings in the game are mostly to scale.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

Quote from: Sarlock on October 03, 2012, 08:26:22 PM
•A story (floor) is about 14 pixels tall. 12 or 16 pixels may be ok for extremely small or large buildings. Avoid other heights, this looks very strange when combined with the existing buildings. Believe me!

I consider (especially for height) 16 px=3 m (10 feet).
Hence 1 px = 18.75 cm (7.4 in).
I use a standard storey (floor) height of 15 px, which means 281.25 cm (110.7 in).
In Europe a storey internal height (floor to ceiling) is usually 270 cm (106.3 in), which leaves a reasonable 11.25 cm (4.4 in) thick ceiling between storeys.

Roads

Sarlock, Fabio

Thank you both very much!  The info showing the relationship of real life dimensions to pixels will come in very handy.  I'll go with 15 pixels for storey height and 12 for the door if that sounds okay.  I think the width is not critical and doors' width in real life does very.  As for windows, the size doesn't matter there either since normally the top aligns with the top of the door.

My first priority after looking at my present game is to create some houses for the desert.  Fabio, since you very kindly referenced the terrain squares in another post, I can now create houses and place them on sand.  It may be a challenge to keep the yard from looking bare for small houses but actually I would prefer bare yards to grass - which just looks out of place.

Sarlock

I think you'll find that the width of the door will just figure itself out by how it looks as long as the height is mostly to scale.  As long as the basic framework of the building is done to scale, everything will mostly fit by itself and will look out of place if it's the wrong size.

Placing a rock or two and a cactus might work great for a desert home.  Borrow from the texture of some of Fabio's excellent apartment blocks for a good whitewash look.

Can't wait to see some work in progress models :)  It would be great to have some more selection that is more climate-specific.  I've been thinking of tackling a few homes myself in the temperate/tundra range.  Once I finish the trees, that is!
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Roads

Sure hope you have time and energy to stay with the game.  I don't think there are many artists here now and certainly only a handful or less of your caliber.  I am about to post my first attempt.  I am obviously not part of that handful...yet...maybe never will be but am trying.

Fabio

Quote from: Roads on October 04, 2012, 02:59:40 AM
My first priority after looking at my present game is to create some houses for the desert.  Fabio, since you very kindly referenced the terrain squares in another post, I can now create houses and place them on sand.  It may be a challenge to keep the yard from looking bare for small houses but actually I would prefer bare yards to grass - which just looks out of place.

Please, Roads, TRY NOT TO USE the sand tile (nor any other tile, for what it matters). You can use transparency and add in the .dat file needs_ground=1. The appropriate climate tile will be added in game. This approach is much safer, as tile texture might vary/improve in future. Currently I need to remove the grass from existing houses and it's a pain in the butt. Also, desert houses could be e.g. adapted to other hot climates (tropic, maybe mediterranean) in case of need, and the tile will automatically adjust.

Quote from: Sarlock on October 04, 2012, 04:58:52 AM
Borrow from the texture of some of Fabio's excellent apartment blocks for a good whitewash look.
Sure! I'll see if I can post them here later today. ;)

Roads

Fabio, Oh, I had not thought of that!  Uh, using a house for other climates and the ground not matching.  At any rate after my previous post, I remembered that the light blue gives the default terrain.  I had considered "smearing" or some technique at the base of the house to keep it from, as my old art teacher once said, "set that tree on the ground, it looks like it's floating."

Still the terrain tiles came in very handy.  I'm enough color blind that I can't tell what color a lot of shades are and very light yellowish greens look just like tan/beige colors so I used the desert terrain to make a palette.  I used that palette in the desert house I made, I hope it is not green.

Please post your apartment blocks if you have time.

Fabio

Quote from: Roads on October 04, 2012, 08:41:34 AM
Please post your apartment blocks if you have time.

LOL, I attached the texture in your other thread.

As usual, you can find the images on the SVN.

Cheers! 8)