News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

new pak64.exp server online

Started by asaphxiix, October 13, 2012, 03:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

Hello,

I've just now started a server, it's played on a big european map, 1820's. It wasn't so hard :) and it's really not cool that there are no experimental games (or any) with free slots. I hope some people join. No walking pax, no pausing with no clients, no overcrowding.

I'm a rather new player, hope to learn a bit from playing with others, so be gentle :P

Asaph

server on simu.zapto.org

jamespetts

Asaph,

welcome! It is splendid to see a new server map up and running. I keep meaning to get my Pak128.Britain-Ex map up and running again, but I have to do some work on the pakset first. I shall be very interested to know how this works out for people and how this game progresses!

PS: I have moved this to the game servers board, as that is the better place for it, I think.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

I too will be interested to hear how pak64.experimental fares in such a setting. I'd be very keen to hear about any bugs or problems arising with the pakset, either here or in the pakset's own forum.

asaphxiix

thanks jamespetts - did i mention this was a feature european map with hopefully real places?

hey carl I actually just reported something today, though I'm not sure it has to do with the pak rather than the engine.

also, I might restart the game at some point soon, once I figure out some mistakes in setting it up. avoiding exploits etc.

any tips on good settings, esp. such that can't be changed after start?

greenling

asaphxiix
Sorry. Your Simutrans Server work not.
Your fall on a liar in.
And it gives no info what for Simutrans version on the server run.
A good Simutransserver cost in month 150 US Dollar.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Fifty

The server most certainly works! I am trying it out. Never really played experimental much before so it will be interesting!
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

greenling

I Have Testing the Server and must said that he very slow it.
A playing on the server make no fun. ::'( ::'(
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

jamespetts

Greenling,

what is the specification of your computer? That might be the cause of the slowness.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

greenling

I Have a AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320 with 2,10 GHZ
and 4,00 GB Ram.
Operatingsystem Windows 64bit home Premium.
My Internet it's a 1 MBIT line Download and Upload 250kbit.
I must over 30 seconds wait until the server gives a answer.
And all ten minutes goes the server a unsencron.
Simutrans exp 1011 and pak64 exp v0.4 have i use.

asaphxiix

hey guys, i'm very glad you have joined!

greenling, I have had problems connecting to other servers before, losing sync mostly, so this might be an issue with me. The server runs in Israel which is a long way to go, but I have played many other multiplayer games without much problems, so this may be a game specific problem (or even settings?), perhaps concerning my router or ISP. But then, Fifty is saying he has a good connection? Where are you guys in the world? james, would a debug help you pinpoint me or greenling to some specific settings that can help this issue, regarding frames etc.?

right now i'm trying to find info on running and playing multiplayer in simutrans, but I do have a hard time finding it, especially for experimental, with the new access system. but some experimenting on the server has led me to believe that given access, pax route through different companies, which is indeed very nice, I have given access to you, feel free to do the same :) but not mandatory of course.

I think the game can be moderated according to the usual rules (http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7764), since walking is off, pax can't move between networks with no access between them. we can change that, but I think competition is important for the game, to prevent us from routing London to Leicester through Istanbul, but we should keep it fair play. Please tell me your thoughts here. we should also communicate using signs near Udine and elsewheres.

igor, thank you, duly noted! I've also registered my server on the germany list.

jamespetts

I don't think that we need debugging - it's not unusual to have to wait a bit to join a game if the map is quite large. Greenling - is it fast enough once you've connected?

asaphxiix

greenling says he has 30 second latency - that sounds more than just slowness to connect initally. but maybe I understood wrong due to language problems. Anyway I think he's been playing today successfully. (was that you there greenling?)

I myself lose sync with the server every now and then, but not enough to be really bothered. I enter it as the FQDN (simu.zapto.org), and not as localhost, but I'm not sure whether it goes to the internet and back to connect to the server on the same computer. I can check that actually, later.

jamespetts

The current -devel version, which I was originally planning to release at the same time as the next version of Pak128.Britain-Ex (on which there is still a fair bit of work to be done) does address some desync issues, but the physics are tuned differnetly, so a new pakset version would potentially be necessary to support it properly. I wonder whether there would be some benefit in releasing the new executable version earlier now that there is an online server going...?

greenling

asaphxiix

hi, it's not exactly crashed - it's still online, but in my workplace I am having trouble connecting to it (took a few attempts before) - and worse, terrible latency while playing (I put a railway a few minutes before using the work computer - I could see it in the VNC of my home computer after a few seconds, but still not come up on  the work computer).

how was your time playing today? did you have better speed? and what happens now exactly?

thanks for the alert about my trains! not enough platforms lol :)

asaphxiix

ok - it seems there really was a problem with the server - I restarted it and the latency issue is resolved, playing normal now from my workplace. I also lost some changes I made when trying figure out the slowness, even though I quit a client before I shut down the server (i.e it was supposed to save the game).

James, any ideas why this happened and if it can be prevented?

greenling once again thanks for the heads up - please message me again if this happens again.

edit: the problem arises again shortly afterwards. I don't know why, but restarting no longer seems to help much.

jamespetts

There were some issues with the the current version that have been fixed on the current development branch. Perhaps when I get a chance I should release the new version even though I have not completed the next version of Pak128.Britain-Ex yet so that you can run this server more smoothly?

asaphxiix

sounds great!
will I need to restart the game in order to use it?
I could do that, and use the chance to cancel city cars (I understand it causes a lot of problems later in the game).

jamespetts

City cars don't cause a problem later in the game with the new version - that is one of the fixes. You won't have to restart the game entirely, but you will have to update the software on the server side and get all of your users to update theirs.

jamespetts

It'll be a bit of a while before I'll be able to release the new version, alas, as I am currently away from home, staying with my parents whilst my bathroom is refitted. I shall see what I can do on my return...

asaphxiix

you're lucky to have parents that are bearable to live with :)

should I use the RC in the mean time?

jamespetts

Hmm - you could try that, but you might be better off sticking with the released version for now - although you say that you can't keep it running at all...? If so, the RC might be the best option.

However, if you do use the RC, the final version might very well be incompatible with saves generated by the RC, so you would either have to save manually as an earlier version, or restart the map completely when the final version is released.

Fifty

I have had no latency problems at all (and I am connecting all the way from the United States). Just occasional, but tolerable, desyncs.

My experience with Simutrans standard is that latency is caused by some constriction on your computer, and not by the connection or the server. If you are using a laptop, make sure that your power is plugged in. Make sure that all power saving or eco modes are turned off (on max performance), and that the CPU and GPU are unthrottled. 90% of the time this is the cause for lag.

You might want to see if the same thing occurs to on Timothy's entropy server using standard Simutrans. If so, it is likely something with your client setup. Asaphiix, I have a player on b.64 if you would like to test, PM me and I'll give you my password.

(I am RF&P in game)
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

greenling

asaphxiix

Thanks a lot Fifty, I tried recreating on Timothy's server but the problem didn't happen. We'll continue to examine this issue, if you guys are having fun and not suffering from bugs this is what's important :)

If we continue to have major problems, we'll try the release candidate, or wait until the release. but right now I understand the game is running well for both of you. greenling, yes?

jamespetts

Asaphxiix - what are the specifications of the server that you are using?

asaphxiix

what do you mean, james?
the engine is simutrans 111.0 exp 10.11 r1011
pak64.exp 0.4

jamespetts

No, I mean: is it a virtual server or a dedicated server? What are the CPU/RAM specifications, etc...?

asaphxiix

ah ok. it's my personal pc, I don't use a vm... :)

running windows 7 ultimate, pentium dual core e5300 2.6 gHz 3GB of RAM

I used to work in QA, so whatever you need from me that doesn't require programming or graphics, I'm your man :)

greenling

Good Night.
I go in beed now,come morning at 20:00 clock german time to play.

asaphxiix

good night greenling, great playing with you!

jamespetts

asaphxiix

857*1000
360 towns, 150297 citizens, 151 factories, 218 vehicles and 124 stops.