News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

r6033 - trains skipping station

Started by asaphxiix, November 08, 2012, 12:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

this is a pretty strange bug - I have come across it playing simutrans experimental, ruining a whole game for me, it's a very serious and easy to reproduce issue, but I can swear I've seen no report of it anywhere. So I was able to reproduce it on simutrans standard with pak 64 - both on stable and latest nightly. I'm assuming that if this is a bug it's pretty old and rooted in the system. However, there's totally a chance I'm doing something wrong, as I don't understand how one can play with this problem an issue.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/bug-st.sve - this save is on r5843. you can see the trains doing the U turn after skipping a station on their route.

i've also found a workaround now -manually setting the backwards  journey  to the right platform of a station (that's on the backwards lane of the double track).

Dwachs

I did not had time to look into your savegame.

But keep in mind that trains will go to the platform that is specified in the schedule. A train will not stop at a platform that belongs to its destination halt but that is not present in the schedule. This is different to the OTTD behavior.

That means, you have to select the right platform for the travel in the backward direction. The 'replicate backwards' buttons does not do this.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

asaphxiix

thanks a lot Dwachs, not a bug then!

But still unclear - this means that automatic mirroring (both in standard and experimental) only works on single track stops? what about 'choose platform' sign, I saw that placing it before intermediate stops does not help the issue? I think on end stations it's ok.

I guess this thread needs to go to the help center :\

Lmallet

Quote from: asaphxiix on November 08, 2012, 02:31:28 PM
But still unclear - this means that automatic mirroring (both in standard and experimental) only works on single track stops? what about 'choose platform' sign, I saw that placing it before intermediate stops does not help the issue? I think on end stations it's ok.
That is correct (for standard anyways, can't vouch for experimental).  Choosesignals can help you, however there are a few caveats.  Only trains stopping at the station will respect the choosesignal, so a through train might give you problems.  Also, trains will usually prefer the platform you selected in the schedule and look at other platforms if it is not available.  A high speed train might have to switch to another track to get to its platform, slowing it down instead of going to the faster platform on the same track.

prissi

Personally I would like to remove this mirror button and only enable it via simuconf.tab, seeing how much grief it caused. After non-electric depots this is probably the most often support question.

Fabio

Mirror  schedule is indeed a pain in the butt_on.

I wish we could create a new concept of platform aware of which direction are allowed and which next station do they allow. Routing would hence decide which platform to use according to next scheduled station. This would also make choose signal obsolete and allow an improved Exp-like return option.

whoami

From current revisions: So the implemented decision was to remove the "copy backwards" button for train-like vehicles and keep it for all the others? A good compromise.

Dwachs

Yes, indeed. There is a simucaonf.tab option to toggle this.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.