News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Suggestions for improving

Started by Hitardo, November 10, 2012, 11:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitardo

Let me start by saying how much I adore pak128.Britain!
It is my favourite one, and I do not see myself playing with another pakset.
Thanks for the help and supporting of The pak :)

But I see some improvements that could be made.
For example:
- a tool to remove electrification on rails;
- a tool to remove electrification on roads;
- a tool to remove power lines.
These three tools should help in containing cost associated with obsolete lines. Because removing one by one is rather boring...

For another improvement: I see the 1st Class and 2nd Class Passenger as a huge opportunity to make money. Including the taxi service, Concorde plane and in trains.
I know it is very difficult, but I think It will be great!!
But what will be awesome is: the ability to choose the balance between 1st and 2nd class passengers when buying a plane/car/bus/train...

I will be waiting some feedback.
Congrats!!

mod note: corrected typos in the title.
Always looking for new things, new knowledge.

jamespetts

I thought that we had a remove electrification tool in the pak...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

hitardo,

thanks for the feedback. I can certainly add in the remove electrification buttons. However 1st and 2nd class passengers would require the game to be changed fundamentally so it's an extension request. That would require another goods type (not difficult in itself) but it would need to behave in the same way as passengers and mail, just with a higher speedbonus. This would require a patch to the code. If you want to follow this up, then you need to post an extension request.

The Hood

OK, Now added powerline and electrification removal tools to SVN. Also added a powerline tunnel which I noticed was missing.

jamespetts

Hmm - note to self: add the powerline tunnel to the Experimental version once the powerline tunnel code is merged...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Hitardo

I did as you advise me, and I already posted this in "Extension Requests".

But I forgot to tell you something important: this (1st and 2nd Class passengers) is already possible in pak128.Japan. And they already have the taxi service.
The balance thing it would be another story...

Regarding to the tool to remove electrification, THANKS!! :)
It will be very helpful. And the electrification below ground too.

Off topic: I would like to ask you for other thing: I saw some pictures in pak128 that drove me insane. Like this one:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1065/smscnovembre.png
[by Isaac_Clarke at SMSC November 2012 Edition]

How it is possible that there are roads/houses/trees at the same level as the water?
It is a river? A wide one?
Then why is it in pak128.Britain, I can not make a wide river so big without leaving some "islands" in the middle.
(If it is necessary, I would send you a picture)

Best regards from PT!!
Hitardo

jamespetts

The first and second class passengers in Pak128.Japan are made by re-naming mail "1st class passengers", so Pak128.Japan has no mail.

Combuijs

Quote from: hitardo on November 15, 2012, 09:09:58 AM

Off topic: I would like to ask you for other thing: I saw some pictures in pak128 that drove me insane. Like this one:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1065/smscnovembre.png
[by Isaac_Clarke at SMSC November 2012 Edition]

How it is possible that there are roads/houses/trees at the same level as the water?
It is a river? A wide one?
Then why is it in pak128.Britain, I can not make a wide river so big without leaving some "islands" in the middle.
(If it is necessary, I would send you a picture)

Best regards from PT!!
Hitardo

It''s not a river, it's a canal.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Hitardo

I have taken this print screen to tell you my problem.

So, what is the problem?

Best regards from PT.

Fabio

This is the canal in Pak128:

And this is the canal in Pak128.Britain:

Check out the "intersection"/branching images.
Pak128 has them in the fourth row of picture (from the top).
Pak128.Britain has them in the first row (2nd to 5th images) and in the second row (3rd image).
See why do they leave islets? It's matter of different way design. ;)

kierongreen

Canals and rivers can only be one tile wide (same as roads and railways). This would be very difficult to change properly, however paks to make it appear as though the water did not have gaps would be possible. My landscape patch allows proper raised water which doesn't have gaps.

Fabio

Quote from: kierongreen on November 15, 2012, 04:19:29 PM
Canals and rivers can only be one tile wide (same as roads and railways). This would be very difficult to change properly.

It would be nice (and just eye candy) if ways could be position-aware, so that they can show different graphics if there's another one (possibly the same way) on its right, on its left or on both sides (pretty much like it happens with stations which have front, middle, end, and single images).

The Hood

Quote from: kierongreen on November 15, 2012, 04:19:29 PM
Canals and rivers can only be one tile wide (same as roads and railways). This would be very difficult to change properly, however paks to make it appear as though the water did not have gaps would be possible. My landscape patch allows proper raised water which doesn't have gaps.
IMO this is a better solution, so I'm hoping it makes it into trunk.

Quote from: Fabio on November 15, 2012, 04:25:08 PM
It would be nice (and just eye candy) if ways could be position-aware, so that they can show different graphics if there's another one (possibly the same way) on its right, on its left or on both sides (pretty much like it happens with stations which have front, middle, end, and single images).
That's also been on my wishlist for a long time. I could dig up some extension requests from 5-6 years ago about this if I looked hard enough!

kierongreen

Allowing ways to have images dependent on neighbours would be prohibative in tile count unfortunately.

Fabio

Well, not necessarily all ways should have it, but some might definitely benefit from it (e.g. motorways with hard shoulder, some or many rail tracks).

Hitardo

Normally, what you have is the choice of the orientation/side of the track/road.
With stations is very different indeed.

But, as I think is more viable is a choice to how you want the canal.
I will search for paks and other stuff to make it possible.

kierongreen, where can I find your patch?
Can you ease my way, and point it to me?

Y5mpF3

I would wish that boat horses and TowpathTractor can not out on the open sea.

kierongreen

Quote from: Y5mpF3 on March 22, 2019, 09:47:54 AM
I would wish that boat horses and TowpathTractor can not out on the open sea.
These constraints aren't possible in Standard Simutrans as far as I'm aware. I am fairly sure Extended supports these as well as a number of other features which make the game much more complex. Whether you view this as being good or bad for playability will depend very much on your mindset....

Y5mpF3

It has nothing to do with playability. But the difference between ports and quays works too.