News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Elevated ways get the snow one level below snowline

Started by Fabio, November 21, 2012, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

The elevated ways get the snow one level below snowline.
I guess it's because they are actually one z-level higher, but they look silly.
IMHO they should get the season from the actual ground level below them.

Ters

What about bridges? If a bridge runs flat between two snow covered plateaus one height level above the surrounding terrain, shouldn't the bridge be snow covered, too? Wouldn't it then be strange if an elevated way running near the bridge, visually (and technically) at the same height, isn't covered with snow? The same would also apply to bridges that go up and down over something, rather than straight across a valley.

Sarlock

Yeah, that's a tough one... if you're running across a ridge that has snow on each side, you want snow on the bridge or elevated way... but if you're elevating above a flat area that isn't at the snow level but the elevated road is, then it looks silly...

Might just have to live with that inconsistency since there isn't a ready solution.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

It might be preserved the snow for 4 tiles from the bridge start (not ramp). This would make bridges (and linked elevated) totally snowy up to 8 tiles long if they start and end on a snowy level.

Ters

Quote from: Fabio on November 21, 2012, 07:48:31 PM
It might be preserved the snow for 4 tiles from the bridge start (not ramp). This would make bridges (and linked elevated) totally snowy up to 8 tiles long if they start and end on a snowy level.

I think that's difficult to achive. I suspect bridge tiles don't remember how far they are from the end, nor is it efficient for the game to figure that out when rendering. Such an insignificant "improvement" doesn't really justify doing all the coding required to provide this information (including possibly changing the save game format) in my opinion. Also, 4 tiles might not be what others want as a limit.

prissi

Bridges get the snow images at the correct height. Only the elevated ways are draw a high level hiegher than they actually are.

Fabio

Hence this is an actual bug?
Just noticed today testing snow version of railways elevated, which have a lot more snow than their roads counterparts...