News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Graphics Tablet

Started by Sarlock, November 27, 2012, 12:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

I just got myself a graphics tablet to play with for creating graphics (Wacom intuos 5 touch)... and wow!  This thing is great.  I'm not sure I could ever go back to drawing with a mouse again.  The speed at which you can draw with one of these compared to a mouse is amazing.  Just fiddling around with my first drawing of a tree and for a first attempt without any editing afterwards (lots of work to be done to it before it's a pak128-worthy tree).

Off to play some more...
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

:thumbsup:

Enjoy your new toy... and we'll all enjoy the results! 8)

Raiser

A friend of mine bought such a tablet and he came to the same opinion. this tablets are not expensive, i think i will try a cheap one. how did you paint this tree? With gimp? do you use special pencils or brushes?

Sarlock

I just used Paint.Net and a simple paintbrush with a bit of anti-aliasing on the edge and layered it on with several different layers of green starting with the darkest at the back and working forward with each layer.  It's a rather simple design but I just wanted to test the tablet out.  What I like the most about it is how FAST it is to draw compared to the mouse and the accuracy is really nice.  I can see a lot of uses for this tablet.

Next step is to set it up properly so that the pressure sensitivity feature works (the harder you press the darker it draws).

sdog

Can we soon expect a new take on pak Hand Drawn perhaps?

Sarlock

Hand drawn pak sets would be soooooo easy with one of these tablets!

VS

I got one, too. Welcome to the group which spent money on Simutrans :P

Mine is an A4-sized Trust. If there is one takeaway - "smaller". For drawing as I practice it, being able to move the pointer across a large portion of viewport with movement of wrist seems far more important. When comparing the technical data later, I realized that while the total resolution is same as Wacoms of that era, resulting lower DPI is indeed a bit of a problem.

Still, it's indispensable for larger projects!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!