News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Network play - Unlocking of unused players

Started by Fifty, November 29, 2012, 03:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Yes it does, but knowing which IP to ban isn't easy unless you can tell which IPs are associated with which companies and which client.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

wlindley

How about a function in the forum, that somehow ties your account / password here, to a network game?  It should be possible wtih nettool to do some HTTP wizardry

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I wouldn't bother with tying forum accounts to game clients just yet. That would force new players, who may only lurk here, to sign up, which adds to hassle.

Simply banning by IP should be enough, for now. If the problem persists, then we can try something more drastic.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

TurfIt

The nightly server is still removing passwords... Perhaps the attached is what was intended?

Dwachs

Quote from: TurfIt on December 20, 2012, 12:51:13 AM
The nightly server is still removing passwords... Perhaps the attached is what was intended?
Looks better - please commit.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on November 30, 2012, 01:24:45 AM
Hmm, this is an interesting issue. Recently, on the Bridgewater-Brunel saved game, I have noticed one player go to extraordinary lengths to try to get itself liquidated, closing down all its real transport operations, and setting up a ship line with vast quantities of ships profitlessly moving between two deserted docks. The player obviously wishes to bow out of the game and leave her/his slot open for others, but there is no easy way of doing this.

Would it be helpful to have a "liquidate company" button in the finances window?

I second this idea. Having recently had a company with a high positive net worth, but after a disastrous-loss-making foray into the world of railway building, could see that it was doomed unless I could sell everything.

Unfortunately, the sheer amount of vehicles and infrastructure constructed made this impossible, so the company went into a slow decline. I'd much prefer a "liquidate all assets" button, as it would allow a healthy company to restructure in such circumstances.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 20, 2012, 07:50:55 AM
I second this idea. Having recently had a company with a high positive net worth, but after a disastrous-loss-making foray into the world of railway building, could see that it was doomed unless I could sell everything.

Unfortunately, the sheer amount of vehicles and infrastructure constructed made this impossible, so the company went into a slow decline. I'd much prefer a "liquidate all assets" button, as it would allow a healthy company to restructure in such circumstances.

Ahh, this is a request for something subtly different - liquidation of a balance sheet solvent but unprofitable company without eventual dissolution of the company. I wonder how often that players actually want to do this...?

AP

Subtly different, but is not the underlying mechanics the same. I.e. to quit entirely, you press one button to liquidate, and then another to dissolve the company?

Re frequency - I bet it crops up more and more in server games, given the inability to test-run any changes. Better to consolidate a position and refocus than decline and fade to obscurity. May occur e.g. to rail companies when the motor cars rise to dominance, or canal companies when railways arrive - easier to sell the lot than spend months deconstructing everything?

Edit: it could even be made into a power function, with search filters. E.g. sell *everything that isn't fixed down*, sell *all road vehicles* etc.

ӔO

there ought to be a way to buy, sell and trade player owned ways and buildings.

maybe something like a box selection of objects inside.

Colour safe chart:

greenling

Quote from: ӔO on December 20, 2012, 07:29:36 PM
there ought to be a way to buy, sell and trade player owned ways and buildings.
maybe something like a box selection of objects inside.
Yes, that is a great idea, she should be built as soon as possible.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

prissi

There is a function to found a new city. Its cost is 50 millions on the nightly. YOu can easily make this 5000 millions, and will lead to instant dead.

AP

Quote from: prissi on December 20, 2012, 09:50:37 PM
There is a function to found a new city. Its cost is 50 millions on the nightly. YOu can easily make this 5000 millions, and will lead to instant dead.
No that function is very useful! I use it when building rail routes through sparsely populated mountains between two areas of higher population, so I can introduce some settlements en-route and thus intermediate traffic. Would be a shame to lose it.

Ashley

What about a station extension building that costs a billion credits? Buy a few of those and kaboom...
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

ӔO

or just a vehicle that costs a few billion in maintenance per km.

You can name it something like... "Hubris Vehicle".
Only the super rich would be able to run it without bankrupting themselves instantly.

actually, speaking of which, I should make one... pure gold, encrusted with diamonds and uses paper money as fuel  8)

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

The hubris vehicle is a rather cute idea; but this is rather a short-term workaround for something that should, when time eventually allows, be fixed by a dedicated solution in the code.