News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Different slope wall graphics for different climates

Started by jamespetts, December 01, 2012, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Following from the discussion here, it would be very useful if we could have different slope wall graphics, both for natural and artificial slopes, as having only the one type in the game does not always look good.

The best way, I think, to differentiate them would be on the basis of climate: low altitudes might have brick, whereas higher altitudes might have stone, and higher still, hewn rock.

Another possibility is to vary them with time, too, so that, for example, early graphics have a hewn rock or earth look, Victorian slopes have brick or stone, and modern slopes have concrete.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

IgorEliezer

I have another idea for sake of freedom, probably more complicated to implement:

When you open a ditch or cut the ground, the vertical wall will always look natural (rock, dirt etc), and then you can build a retaining wall by clicking on the walls (or their sides). It would require a different kind of ground-object.

greenling

Hello
It's possible to build in a Timeline for slope?
I've noticed that retaining walls that support the steep slopes change her from marriages over time.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Fabio

Climate + timeline + 2 seasons would actually be very useful and convenient.
Obviously older walls shouldn't be changed unless the slope is changed as well. Climate should also allow for water, of course.
It could also be interesting to differentiate city walls if they are built under res, com or ind.

greenling

I will deliver pictures of retaining walls tomorrow from 20:00 o'clock here in the forum.
Because I have seen these pictures I partially not in digital form has.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Quote from: IgorEliezer on December 01, 2012, 06:02:55 PM
I have another idea for sake of freedom, probably more complicated to implement:

When you open a ditch or cut the ground, the vertical wall will always look natural (rock, dirt etc), and then you can build a retaining wall by clicking on the walls (or their sides). It would require a different kind of ground-object.

Would that have any economic significance...?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

kierongreen

A few things to consider: how to deal with 2 tile high slopes? What to do once climates and heights are no longer linked? Would it be better to have a separate geology map which could determine mine locations as well as slope graphics?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

>geology map

Minecraft has "biomes", which basically generate areas of different climates; might be something to consider emulating.

jamespetts

Quote from: kierongreen on December 02, 2012, 02:37:11 PM
A few things to consider: how to deal with 2 tile high slopes?

A simple rule should suffice to handle this: multiple tile high slopes should have their graphics set based on that applicable to the lower tile.

QuoteWhat to do once climates and heights are no longer linked? Would it be better to have a separate geology map which could determine mine locations as well as slope graphics?

This is a very interesting idea...

sdog

Quote from: kierongreen on December 02, 2012, 02:37:11 PM
A few things to consider: how to deal with 2 tile high slopes? What to do once climates and heights are no longer linked? Would it be better to have a separate geology map which could determine mine locations as well as slope graphics?
Excellent idea. This could finally bring a sensible distribution of, for example, coal mines on the map. Instead of having them all over the place, such that the player can just transport full trains back and forth.

The Hood

I agree entirely. At present, maps can tend to become quite homogenous with evenly distributed industries all over the map. Combine this "geology" idea with kierongreen's new landscape patch, and all you need to throw in is some way of generating maps with some areas more mountainous and others with rolling hills and plains and you suddenly have a whole new dimension to gameplay. One thing I used to like about the old Railroad tycoon series was the fact that certain parts of the map would spawn loads of mines but others would only have farms etc, meaning there were net flows of certain goods along certain routes.

Ters

There should be a discussion on geology somewhere in this forum, though I don't remember if it was a specific topic, or just something that latched onto another request just like now.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 02, 2012, 06:41:37 PM
I agree entirely. At present, maps can tend to become quite homogenous with evenly distributed industries all over the map. Combine this "geology" idea with kierongreen's new landscape patch, and all you need to throw in is some way of generating maps with some areas more mountainous and others with rolling hills and plains and you suddenly have a whole new dimension to gameplay. One thing I used to like about the old Railroad tycoon series was the fact that certain parts of the map would spawn loads of mines but others would only have farms etc, meaning there were net flows of certain goods along certain routes.

Yes - I very much agree!

IgorEliezer

Quote from: The Hood on December 02, 2012, 06:41:37 PM
At present, maps can tend to become quite homogenous with evenly distributed industries all over the map. Combine this "geology" idea with kierongreen's new landscape patch, and all you need to throw in is some way of generating maps with some areas more mountainous and others with rolling hills and plains and you suddenly have a whole new dimension to gameplay.
:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:
OMG! Someone has just read my mind!

Quote from: Ters on December 02, 2012, 06:56:02 PM
There should be a discussion on geology somewhere in this forum, though I don't remember if it was a specific topic, or just something that latched onto another request just like now.
Perhaps this topic http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10438.0?

This is a topic I had split long time ago. It was a topic about industry placement and it derailed into a discussion about the terrain generation.  My main point there was "I'd like to give each part of the map its own look [geomorphologically] (...) I tried to use the "Landscape Settings" and set up map roughness and mountain heights, but I ended up having maps that are either entirely mountainous or flat. The map becomes too much "uniform" and predictable". TL;DR: with current terrain generation every part of the map look pretty same.

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on December 02, 2012, 03:23:33 PM
Minecraft has "biomes", which basically generate areas of different climates; might be something to consider emulating.
I'll post a Minecraft map as sample.

Quote from: jamespetts on December 01, 2012, 08:02:36 PM
Would that have any economic significance...?
That would not. Having a separate object is just for eye-candy purpose, exactly like when you use map editing tools to build houses and parks. But there's a logic behind it:

1) When you cut the ground/terrain, natural layers of rocks are exposed. Then, you build the retaining walls.

2) Say, any time in future, Simutrans will generate terrains with natural cliffs such as escarpments and U-shaped valleys. If cliff graphics are painted like walls, all natural cliffs generated by Simutrans would look like walls. The idea here would be: Simutrans would use cliff graphics for natural cliffs (which can depend on the climate/region), and wall graphics for artificial cliffs (the retaining walls). If the player wants to build a retaining wall, there would be a tool for it. This means that, we would have the freedom to create the graphics for natural cliffs and graphics for walls that best fit our needs.