News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Avenue & Roundabout

Started by Raiser, December 04, 2012, 07:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiser

Hi,

to learn the basics of painting i'm working on some Avenue and Roundabout addons. Maybe as station-extension or as ways. Besides Aesthetic aspects they are quiet unusual for gameplay but tree covered country roads will certainly look great in the game :)

So what do you think? Change colours of the fence? Other Tree? Include Traffic Signs? Any ideas?

Here you see a small roundabout - a second bigger one is planed - i added lantern and guiding piles and some shrubbery.

Screenshot

For the Moment...

Raiser

Vladki

It would be nice to code it as monument, because when monument is built it is surrounded by road on all sides...
If you want better signs for roundabout, try this: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9551.msg89780#msg89780
Latest version of pak files is here: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/cs_road.unpacked/

Sarlock

Looks very nice, Raiser, good work!
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

mEGa

Really fine Raiser.
Don't forget snowy aspect ;)
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Raiser

Quote from: Vladki on December 04, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
It would be nice to code it as monument, because when monument is built it is surrounded by road on all sides...
If you want better signs for roundabout, try this: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9551.msg89780#msg89780
Latest version of pak files is here: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/cs_road.unpacked/

Yes , i'll make the Roundabout as a monument. The Signs are exactly what i was looking for - why are they not included in pak128? Thank you Vladki!

Raiser

Quote from: mEGa on December 05, 2012, 06:35:23 AM
Really fine Raiser.
Don't forget snowy aspect ;)

Thank you mEGa - I await the comments from you pak-artists before i try the winter aspect.

Regards

VS

Quote from: Raiser on December 05, 2012, 10:08:02 AM
why are they not included in pak128?
Because the sign shows as if on tile A, but really exists on tile B. It also suggests some effect, which is in fact a fake and depends on structure of roads and signs. In this form, I think it's too complicated for lay users (expected reports: It's broken! The sign shows outside road! Doesn't work with driving on left!). Otherwise, it is nice :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

ML

By the way, am I the only one who noticed the billboard on the right? :o

Is it your work as well, Raiser? Or is it already existing part of the game which I have never seen..?

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Sarlock

I noticed the billboard... and the RV to the top left of the circle, too :)

I've been thinking of making billboards for quite a while... as a custom addon for putting alongside freeways.  It wouldn't work as a building as I don't think it would like right just randomly placed by the game in an residential area.

Fabio

A crazy idea: road signs with negative maintenance. Placing billboards could help you scraping a few bucks, as the adv companies rent your space.

Vladki

Quote from: Raiser on December 05, 2012, 10:08:02 AM
why are they not included in pak128? Thank you Vladki!

You are welcome. I started to make my roadsigns because those in pak128 are badly positioned and do not look like signs I see in my country. Now they are included in pak128.cz, but if you like them, just download the whole pack (cs_road.pak) and they will replace the standard road signs. And if the pak128 maintainers like their appearance I will be more than happy if they are included in official pak128.

transporter

Quote from: Fabio on December 05, 2012, 06:30:31 PM
A crazy idea: road signs with negative maintenance. Placing billboards could help you scraping a few bucks, as the adv companies rent your space.

If only that part about being a transportation sim wasn't around :p But maybe instead of negative, they do have a cost, but you get an increase in pax and mail volume for the city/area

Sarlock

The general idea is that if something isn't entirely intuitive in its use/placement, it's best offered as an addon than directly included in the pak.  The improved signs are certainly better than the originals in appearance but their use is a bit trickier.  Maybe there's an extension request somewhere in here to make road signs a bit better on curves/diagonals.  I recall as a beginning player how difficult it was to figure out which way the signs were facing when placed (this includes rail signals).

Raiser

Quote from: ML on December 05, 2012, 04:22:11 PM
By the way, am I the only one who noticed the billboard on the right? :o

Is it your work as well, Raiser? Or is it already existing part of the game which I have never seen..?

This Billboard is just a test modell to look out how some varieties act in a boulevard scene. I'll make some better work to fill this up for a full, typical city boulevard.

The "Friendly Girl" Camper is inspired by shunter's campsite addon "campsite", i just thought this idea forward to this scene which appears, and everybody knows, when he's leaving highways, waiting left or right at crossroads :)

greenling

Raiser
The Photo that you be postet have looks very interesting out.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

mEGa

I had an idea. Could we not create a special road sign for roundabount and more particularly for rotating parts of streets as my picture shows it ?

What are your thoughts about it ?

Fabio

Well, no entry signs are now placed in the middle of the road and this leads to misalignment on curves.
It would be good and useful to realign them to the entrance of the tile they refer to.

Sarlock

That would be really nice if we could make that change, it would look so much better than to have them in the middle of the road on curves.

Vladki

Just check my signs repository. All my roadsigns are aligned on the border. And the NoEntry sign is included as well.
https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/cs_road.unpacked/

Fabio

Quote from: Fabio on December 06, 2012, 05:18:14 PM
Well, no entry signs are now placed in the middle of the road and this leads to misalignment on curves.
It would be good and useful to realign them to the entrance of the tile they refer to.
Quote from: Sarlock on December 06, 2012, 05:32:53 PM
That would be really nice if we could make that change, it would look so much better than to have them in the middle of the road on curves.

I was wrong, road signs *MUST* be aligned to the *EXIT* of the tile, not at the entrance.
I moved them accordingly. I also updated min speed (80 and 100 km/h) signs to the European standard, on which most road-related features are based. Also road block needed some update.
No entry looks a bit odd at the exit of the tile, so I added also a One Way sign on the other direction, using a standard (square with straight arrow) used in Germany, but also in Italy and in other countries (the more standard blue arrow didn't look well).
In r1081.

mEGa

VS

Ah, perfect!

Just a note - when I wrote the previous message, it was specifically for the roundabout sign.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

greenling

Fabio
You have by the Signs make a good work.

Raiser

I tried the Winter aspect to the small roundabout - comments please :)

mEGa

Good beginnings.
Some suggestions
- I mean tree is not the same as summer stage. they must be.
- Why color of fence is not the same too ?
- the shadow on circle is not right.

I kwow that it's difficult to apply snowy aspect to your first drawing. Maybe you should a little simplify it.

VS

Nice one :) What mEGa says is true, though. Myself, I wonder if the snow fits texture on ground...?

greenling

Raiser
The photo look ver good out.
I like it.

Raiser

Quote from: mEGa on December 16, 2012, 07:32:18 AM
Good beginnings.
Some suggestions
- I mean tree is not the same as summer stage. they must be.
- Why color of fence is not the same too ?
- the shadow on circle is not right.

I kwow that it's difficult to apply snowy aspect to your first drawing. Maybe you should a little simplify it.

Hi, thank you for your replies. Relating to your suggestions i changed the Tree because there was no Winter-Version, adjusted Shadow and restored colour of the fence. Testing in game i didn't find errors. I think the Roundabout is done now?

greenling

Cool.
It very nice this tree.

mEGa

Quote from: Raiser on December 16, 2012, 09:18:39 PM
Hi, thank you for your replies. Relating to your suggestions i changed the Tree because there was no Winter-Version, adjusted Shadow and restored colour of the fence. Testing in game i didn't find errors.
Good improvement !
Quote from: Raiser on December 16, 2012, 09:18:39 PM
I think the Roundabout is done now?
I'm agree. it will be an excellent addon imho.

prissi

If coded as monument it will also be always a roundabout. Since monuments are only build once, you would need roundabout1 to roundabout9 repeating objects in pak

greenling

Sarlock

It's very nice, Raiser!  I like it :)

Fabio