News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[patch] front images for ways

Started by Dwachs, February 15, 2012, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

The alley trees are taken from an object painted by GeoTrans on the German forum.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Fabio

My Goodness! I love this patch! I was waiting for it for SO long... I hope it'll make it fast to the trunk, I have plenty to exploit it in elevated (and maybe not only) I'm painting...

wlindley

Could this be extended to have front images for buildings and factories?  It would be wonderful to paint five variations on a building, and five different fronts (different flags, trees, autos, etc.) to get 25 variations without having to paint two dozen... or draw one "Shop" building in each of several eras, and have fronts just for the different colored awnings which would apply.

VS

Yesssssssssss! I love you :D

Quote from: wlindley on February 15, 2012, 07:29:34 PM
Could this be extended to have front images for buildings and factories?
I know for fact that this is already possible for factories, and I think for all types of building, too.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Ters

Quote from: wlindley on February 15, 2012, 07:29:34 PM
Could this be extended to have front images for buildings and factories?  It would be wonderful to paint five variations on a building, and five different fronts (different flags, trees, autos, etc.) to get 25 variations without having to paint two dozen... or draw one "Shop" building in each of several eras, and have fronts just for the different colored awnings which would apply.

I thought this was just to have images in front of everything on a tile. I can't see how it would help out with combining fronts with buildings, as the dat would need the same number of entries. Maybe one could save a minute or two pasting the two components, drawn separately, into the png read by makeobj, but that wouldn't be much improvement.

Dwachs

For buildings, the method as wlindley proposed should work imho. There is not much stuff to be displayed between back and front image, if the building is a factory or a house (not a station / depot).

VS

Perhaps a bit offtopic... Front images are very important for animated industries, where moves only a small part. You can "pop" the animated item to front "layer" and save a lot of repeated images. Frank once used that to reduce industry paks to fractions of their size.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Ashley

Quote from: VS on February 15, 2012, 08:53:00 PM
Perhaps a bit offtopic... Front images are very important for animated industries, where moves only a small part. You can "pop" the animated item to front "layer" and save a lot of repeated images. Frank once used that to reduce industry paks to fractions of their size.

Doing this automatically was on my todo list for TileCutter for ages...

FrontImages for ways is a great innovation!
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Dwachs

Front images for ways are incorporated with r5338.

The dat-parameters behave similarly to back images: just prefix image definition by 'front', ie 'frontimageup[3][0]=...'.

Front images of winter / straight diagonal / switch images are only shown if there is a (back) image defined.

Fabio

Awesome!

Are nightlies also compiling makeobj? (apparently not)

Could you (or anybody) please compile a new makeobj for windows?

Thanks!

prissi

I think the example with the trees may be better achieved by better wayobj, as same time ago Alex showed for pak.german. But the more freedom, the better.

Fabio

I think it'll be mostly useful for elevated ways, especially if you add fences/safety barriers. Or to add locks to canals' image up.

wlindley

Aha! (replying to an old thread) ... Looking at Sarlock's Simutrans Fried Chicken, it turns out that you can define a FrontImage for a factory, and it works just fine.

The Wiki does not seem to document the x,y suffix, like this:

FrontImage[0][1][1][0][0]=images/mills1.0.3,0,0

Indeed the ...,x,y also seems to work to offset the BackImage. 

So now I could define six different eras of shop, and twelve different colored awnings for goods, and have 6+12=18 images in my ping instead of 6x12=72...!