News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Nightly server

Started by prissi, December 05, 2012, 10:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

A long time passed since the gift server died (it was already old then). I have got a slightly newer pentium4 which will run a nightly server with pak64 (with the nightly pak64) and a server with pak.japan (112.0 since no nightly generation).

This is mostly to catch bugs in networkmode early on and to test the new network features. Expect crashes and frequent updates of the program. The server will update to the most recent svn revision about 2 am GMT.

Fifty

Logged onto the 64 server, started a train, and got a crash, and this error message below. (note that while it's in a folder that says r6131, it is r6140) Also seem to have crashed the server.

edit: it went back up, tried again, and same problem occurred.

Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

prissi

There was a bug which deleted companies without running convois incorrectly every first of the month. I restarted the game with a corrected version, but you have to built it yourself or wait for the next nightly.

paichtis

Server crashes at end of month. ('human player' went bankrupt)

Btw, the changes to the depot are great !

edit : crash happened again at the same end of month

prissi

ok, after liquidation in 6156 a fresh instance of the human starts again. That means that the human can be actually used for gaming, allowing one more to join.

EDIT: Using empty lorries with just tanker trailers might not help the survival of you (if you are the yellow company).

paichtis

Thanks for the fix.

About "empty" lorries : Unless I missed something, early on they are actually the most profitable means of moving oil by road (discovered that yesterday)

a cost of 4,56 for 24 oil at a speed of 70 VS  10,2 for 48 at a speed of 50

prissi

Hmm, I think I should power those down then ...

paichtis

Quote from: prissi on December 09, 2012, 08:03:00 PM
Hmm, I think I should power those down then ...
Yep agreed,
I'll just reduce the cost of the oil truck by 1 while increasing the trailer's by 1.
This way this 'trick' will still be marginaly good for gasoline but not for oil.

prissi

Since the server only runs for a few hours before crashing, I would highly appreciate as much testing as possible. It seems the servers is still far away from stable operation, which would be needed for the next release. Especially the server related features can only be tested by on the server.

Dwachs

Would it be possible to run the server in a debugger (gdb) ? Then we could know, where it crashed.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

In principle yes. But until now all crashes led also to the clients crashing.

For some reason today no pak64 nightly was generated, thus people who want to join need to download the nightly from here: http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~prissi/simutrans/simupak64.zip

EDIT: gdb does not like to be attached to a background process via script. I gave up with this for now.

paichtis

Checked a few things, no problem found :
- deleting docks ok
- trying to uncheck city grow fails as expected

When creating a new player, it doesn't get the focus which is confusing (you end playing with the previously active player, usually 'human player')
Got a few desynchs when creating vehicules and terraforming probably because server or internet connection is too weak but perhaps it is worth investigating a little.

prissi

It also desync for me while doing nothing.

paichtis

I created a new town with the keyboard shortcut.
There was no warning or check that I had not the funds. I think this is new.

Dwachs

Quote from: paichtis on December 11, 2012, 10:23:31 AM
I created a new town with the keyboard shortcut.
There was no warning or check that I had not the funds. I think this is new.
It should check your money (unless you were acting as public player).  Maybe bug.

prissi

Building city never warned, I used it as a quick way to get bankrupt.

But in networkgames founding towns should be only allowed as public player as it affects the game very strongly.

paichtis

Quote from: prissi on December 11, 2012, 11:42:39 AM
But in networkgames founding towns should be only allowed as public player as it affects the game very strongly.

Well, I have no strong opinion about this (although it can be very usefull) but getting bankrupt with just a keystrock and a click with no warning is certainly not a desirable behavior.

Dwachs

My impressions on nightly server:

It is very stable for me, I had no desyncs at all while playing, no crashes either. Thanks for setting up this server!

I do not like the transparent chat window, some colors are barely readable there. (Did not touch any settings - I could do that maybe)

And I do not like that unattended companies are automatically unlocked. Maybe the threshold is too short? I played this after noon around 4 p.m, now at 11 p.m. company was unlocked.

prissi

There is the problem that before values were either 0 or 1. Tonights nightly should fix this ... I will restart with an empty map for this to come into effect though.

IgorEliezer

Unfortunately, I never managed to find a joinable nightly server. I'm running r6181 + pak64 r1090.

Dwachs

I think you have to use the pak64 archive, which was linked by prissi above. I do not know which revision it contains.

IgorEliezer

@ Dwachs: just installed the pak you recommended; I still can't join. In fact, when I activate "Show mismatched", the nightly server isn't listed.

Dwachs

IgorEliezer

So, this explain all.

Prissi should use these server status icons ( and ) in the topic.

prissi

Well, I just turned on the computer and found that the automatic restart failed to work. It is very strange: "pkill sim" works on commandline but fails for the script. So whenever I know the server ist on.

Dwachs

Server up and running.

Uses latest nightly r6368 and pak64 r1151:

http://nightly.simutrans-germany.com/

If there are problems, drop me a note / pm here.

benjad

One note for the nightly, although this is a last version addition.

The new feature that includes 'good in transport' in the factory IN supply might need to be adjusted upward.  I am moving coal and stone by ship (320 capacity).  The industry has an intake capacity of 250 some.  As a result, the supply industry is stopped until the receiving industry is empty.  It is a LONG slow run. 

Not sure what the current value of that new factor is on the sever... but if it is a multiple, I'm thinking 6x-8x the industry input should be the limit.   It would be great if it could scale to distance as well. 

Dwachs

Restarted the server with r6387. Any memories why it crashed?

benjad

Hi all.

Can't connect to the nightly.  Claims to have pak64 r1185.  Downloaded r1185 from nightly, and it states pak mismatch.  Tried with the pak from the 112.2, also fails.  States Tree4 is not on the server. 

prissi

Dwachs

Quote from: benjad on March 21, 2013, 12:02:49 AM
Can't connect to the nightly.  Claims to have pak64 r1185.  Downloaded r1185 from nightly, and it states pak mismatch.  Tried with the pak from the 112.2, also fails.  States Tree4 is not on the server. 
This tree object was deleted prior to the 112-2 release. Please delete/move away the file tree.Tree4.pak. It looks like you did install the new pak64 on top of the old installation.

benjad

Yup, I have a nightly directory that I use.  Looks like for future updates, I will have to wipe directory, then install clean. 

benjad

Current issue: creating a new station results in desync about 90% of the time.  Not sure if code changed, or just distance from server.

Fifty

I have also noticed this issue. It seems that the server and the client name the stop differently. Thus desync.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

benjad

:o   Fifty, just out of curiosity, how did you figure that out?