News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Special tool for elevating ground so you can add tunnels(Change Map Heightfield)

Started by emaxectranspoorte, December 30, 2008, 03:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

This problem first arose to me when I had a savedgame that ran at an older version of Simutrans. The one which had no tunelling tools... and it's a kind of a large map, a lot of work involved... but almost no space left for any kind of tunneling (especially maglevs :-* love those MLM developments) 8)

Anyway, the only thing I could come up with is this... :-\ :-\ :-\

EDIT: It's a bit like ground rising up from the ash of a volcanic eruption, as an example. Only that the 3D tiled-underground ground can be added in between the first ground, after (very near) sea level and the ground which has on surface the cities, etc... using the map's dimeansions and breath, but not necessarily, it's height. Result: "So the people of simutrans ;) can, now, live their daily lives, be transported by surface/tunnel/sea/air etc... without noticing that underneath them, after the first ground tile, after the sea tile, the height of the map has increased by say, for example, one or more tiles, upwards in height ... so now more underground tunnels can be built"... 

I don't know ... :-\ But I think... :-\ this is the simplest solution... :) :) I might be wrong...  :-\ :-\

EDIT: There I explained it as throughly, as I could... :-\ :-\ Is this better, Igor???  :-\ :-\

EDIT: Can be called "Change Map Heightfield" or something like that... :-\ :-\ :-\

jamespetts

If I understand you correctly, you want to add tunnels to flat ground? All that you have to do is create a dip in the land using the existing raise/lower tools. Or have I misunderstood...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: jamespetts on December 30, 2008, 03:40:52 PM
If I understand you correctly, you want to add tunnels to flat ground? All that you have to do is create a dip in the land using the existing raise/lower tools. Or have I misunderstood...?

I really apologize for saying so, 8) but ::) yes you did... ;D

What about to flat ground starting upwards one tile very near sea level? :-\ :-\ :-\

jamespetts

I'm still not following... can you post a picture describing what you mean?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: jamespetts on December 30, 2008, 03:54:08 PM
I'm still not following... can you post a picture describing what you mean?

I'll try...  :-\ :-\ :-\

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on December 30, 2008, 04:01:59 PM
I'll try...  :-\ :-\ :-\

But ... what exactly is that you understand from what I've said? :-\ :-\ :-\

Edit: Sorry about double-posting. :o ::) I'll try my best not to do it again... :-\

Edit: Ok, if this is rather too complex, than... I guess... it doesn't matter...  :-\ :-\ :-\

jamespetts

All that I understand is that you're having some sort of difficulty with tunnels...

IgorEliezer

Probably he wants to raise a level up all terrain with all infrastructure so that he's able to build tunnels under the cities and its infrastructure in places where sea level doesn't allow to build tunnels. Am I correct? ;)

Tip: emaxectranspoorte, you have to make clear what you want to mean in post's body. I understood you want a special tool by reading topic title, but it should be mensioned and well explaned in post's body. Don't fear writing a long, but well explained, post. Jamespetts knows to do it very well. ;D

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: IgorTekton on December 30, 2008, 04:33:59 PM
Probably he wants to raise a level up all terrain with all infrastructure so that he's able to build tunnels under the cities and its infrastructure in places where see level doesn't allow to build tunnels. Am I correct? ;)

Thanks Igor. :) Yes that's exactly correct. The upwards first tile from sea level. To be able to raise all ground on map (including, cities etc...) as many tiles as the player, wishes, to improve the underground transportation needed. :) 8) :) .

If that's possible...  :-\ :-\ :-\

z9999

In current simutrans, map edge must be water level. So, I think this might be impossible without change it.
BTW, you can make a water level tunnel, aren't you ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: z9999 on December 30, 2008, 06:54:31 PM
BTW, you can make a water level tunnel, aren't you ?

No, I never ever could, not even for pak64/pak128. It just gives me a I "can't build anything too close to the edge of the map" simutrans based error message. The straight tracks (from two if I delete one), becomes one "cross"-like looking railway/maglev/road etc... line which in turn, gives you the "tunnels must start on single way" message, of course... I had the same this problem from stable version 88.10.5, up to stable version 99.17. :o ::) .

But it works fine now (like in your png example) with the version I've got, thanks, mainly to gauthier.  ;) :) 8)

EDIT: But there's not enough for carrying passengers from overcrowded stations if I only have one underground, is there... ??? ?... 
:-\ :-\ :-\

EDIT: I know explained it, a lot more clearly, I think... :-\ :-\ Please look at my first post at the start of this thread...

Is this better, the way I explained it, Igor? :) :-\ :-\

z9999

emaxectranspoorte

??? ???

EDIT: Is my English Really That Bad?  ??? :o :-\ :-\

VS

No, but he isn't native speaker, too. Just like me or most of other members of this forum :)

Regarding "too close to edge of map"... then why don't you dig some holes farther from edge of map? Also, tunnelling is really like building tracks if you don't use the default straight tunnel...

Build tunnel only as entrance (with ctrl), then switch to underground mode (shift-u), use tunnel tool to build the track as you want, build stations, signals and whatnot, exit underground mode again (shift-u), done.

Examples:

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on January 01, 2009, 12:32:07 PM
No, but he isn't native speaker, too. Just like me or most of other members of this forum :)

Regarding "too close to edge of map"... then why don't you dig some holes farther from edge of map? Also, tunnelling is really like building tracks if you don't use the default straight tunnel...

Build tunnel only as entrance (with ctrl), then switch to underground mode (shift-u), use tunnel tool to build the track as you want, build stations, signals and whatnot, exit underground mode again (shift-u), done.

Examples:

Thank you for your help, VS.  :) I knew how to build tunnels, before. Now you just gave me a little extra help: shortcut keys. ;) :)

BUT, THIS IS NOT what I wanted to explain. ::) :) . Thank you all for your help in making tunnels, but all this is overshadowing the idea that I wanted to explain.  :o :D

EDIT: Tip: Think of the breadth and height of the ground and how deep it is, 8) and not so much of its width... ;) :)

Edit: Look at it in plane view, if you so wish...  ;) :)

robofish

ah you want to change (lower) the water level in game, like you can during map creation - right?

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: robofish on January 03, 2009, 12:27:20 AM
ah you want to change (lower) the water level in game, like you can during map creation - right?

No, but you're almost there... Adding more ground cubes between the water level and the ground above (where the cities, trees, industries, etc...) are currently situated on a particular map. Without even modifing the allready created map and tunnels made by players at all. (That was my idea at first, but since I've seen in forum that you added tunnel sloping tool, I guess it would make this idea a bit unusable, if you have tunnels created allready on a particular map. It would only be usefull for those maps that are exactly one or less tiles (cubes) beneath the ground, near the surface long).

:) 8)

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on January 03, 2009, 10:19:03 AM
No, but you're almost there... Adding more ground cubes between the water level and the ground above (where the cities, trees, industries, etc...) are currently situated on a particular map. Without even modifing the allready created map and tunnels made by players at all. (That was my idea at first, but since I've seen in forum that you added tunnel sloping tool, I guess it would make this idea a bit unusable, if you have tunnels created allready on a particular map. It would only be usefull for those maps that are exactly one or less tiles (cubes) beneath the ground, near the surface long).

:) 8)

Yes, it would still make it usable, if a player makes enough money/profit/revenue, I think. :)