News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

[10.18] crash on withdraw access rights

Started by asaphxiix, December 30, 2012, 06:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

this morning around 8:20 server crashed when i removed access rights from another player. This has happened before, a few days ago.

I couldn't reproduce this on my local windows server.

ӔO

For me, when I do that on the server, all it does is disconnect me.
It's similar to replacing a few hundred vehicles at once.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - crashes that can't be reproduced are difficult to trace. Did you try to reproduce it on the saved game from the server? From whom did you withdraw access rights?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

Æo must be right - I'm not actually sure that the server crashed, I just thought that way because it was unavailable for a few minutes after the desync. It would be indeed natural for a desync to happen as a result of such an action due to a cpu spike. However, I do remember a distinct crash (reversion) when I tried to withdraw rights from lindley, after he connected with both me and aeolus, which could even be explained as a shock to the server's cpu that crashed the game.

jamespetts

High CPU usage will not of itself cause a crash - there must be a bug in the software if there is an actual crash.

I do intend at some point to alter the way that replacing works to make a visit to the depot unnecessary, which will hopefully sidestep some of these issues in any event, but it would be good to track down what is probably a bug in the send to depot code.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

greenling

asaphxiix
Gives this crash also then you play alone without a network games?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

asaphxiix

nope. It doesn't crash the client either, only caused the server to restart without saving.

greenling

asaphxiix
Ok. The crash comes not then you play alone.
Crashs can come by a traffic jam with the dates dispatch.
can You please try out how many convoy you on a klick can remove without crash?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

I suspect that this might be related to the crashes/desyncs that people are seeing with the replacer. Withdrawing access rights from Lindley would lead to large numbers of his ships unable to dock at your ports. In turn, they are sent to the depot as they have no route. Large numbers of ships being sent to the depot would cause a great increase in the server's CPU load that could cause it to run more slowly than a client and trigger a desync.

Further, if there is some bug in the depot finding system that sometimes causes a crash (this has not been confirmed), then this might trigger that, too.

jamespetts

Has anyone been able to reproduce this in a more recent version?

ӔO

yup. still happens in 10.22.

If you load the server game locally, switch to my company and revoke rights to NLT, it will crash instantly.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Thank you - that is most helpful. Now found and fixed on the 10.x branch.

asaphxiix

the client has been frozen for some time now, after I tried to revoke access right from dust-n-trans. Also, the server does not seem to be coming up.

jamespetts

I presume that this eventually resolved itself? Did it revert or eventually move onwards?