News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[10.18] Crash on game Startup with pak128, always!

Started by Creat, January 06, 2013, 03:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creat

Hello everyone,

I've decided to Simutrans again after a longer break, so I decided to get SimutransEx again. I got the latest version (Win7 x64, so the basic windows version) from here, and extracted it. I also got the configuration files and Pak128 (the non-experimental one, current version: 2.2.0)
The game always crashes immediately on launch before I even see any menu or anything (see problem signature at the bottom). If I add another pak (for testing I used pak64.german) it starts fine, asks me to pick a pak and continues normally with pak64.german, but also crashes immediately on selecting pak128. According to the FAQ it should (still) work with the standard pak sets (even if it's with limited functionality for the ex-features).

I would provide a stack trace, but I only have VS 2008 installed and the project files require 2012 it seems. Does the project actually require the latest VS or would it compile fine if I just had a project file? Can I use the command line to still compile and/or debug it? I'm not keen on installing VS2012 but could do so if necessary/helpful.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Simutrans-Experimental.exe
  Application Version: 111.2.10.18
  Application Timestamp: 50d4cf1c
  Fault Module Name: Simutrans-Experimental.exe
  Fault Module Version: 111.2.10.18
  Fault Module Timestamp: 50d4cf1c
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 0013846e
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1031
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

jamespetts

Creat,

thank you for the report and welcome to the forums! I am currently staying away from home, so do not have easy access to my debugger in which I can test this properly; I intend to see if I can spot the problem when I get home.

I suspect that it might well be possible to use VS 2008 to compile Simutrans-Experimental, but it would probably require a lot of manual twiddling to get it to work (by copying all the configuration settings from the VS 2010 files to the VS 2008 files by hand).

One thing that you might try in the meantime to get it working is deleting demo.sve in the pakset's root folder (if there is one); it is these saved games that most often cause pakset specific crashes.

Sorry that you have had trouble, and thank you again for the report.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

greenling

creat
Pak128 2.2.0 it not useable for Simutrans Exp it have Things they not in Simutrans exp gives!
Pak128 2.2.0 have some way with Front and backimages that support Simutrans exp in moment not.
Please install a Pak128.britain exp.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, Greenling is right, actually - well spotted, Greenling. Simutrans-Experimental is a fork of Simutrans, and the current released version (10.18) is based on a rather old version of Standard that is not compatible with the latest version of Pak128. See here for a release candidate version that is based on a far more up to date version of Simutrans-Standard that should run the latest version of Pak128.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Creat

Ah I understand, thanks. I'll give that version a try then.

I also double checked the download pages, the pak- and FAQ-threads, I wish there was some kind of warning instead of a straight up crash. If it's on the horizon that ex will catch up with changes to standard that is probably not really necessary though.

Still, thanks for the rather quick help!

PS: I would've asked this question days ago, but for some reason I never got the registration/activation mail for the forum. I had to change my mail address (from @gmx.net to my @gmail.com one) before I finally got that mail. I tried with the option to resend it many times. I always got a confirmation text that it had been sent and I've been checking all possible spam locations. Even tried on IRC but didn't find anyone to talk to (or rather nobody responded whenever I tried). At least it finally worked with the other mail address :)

jamespetts

Hmm - that's unusual. I don't administer the forums, so I can't assist with the registration issue. You might try asking one of the admins?

As to a warning, I shall add something to the FAQ no - thank you for the suggestion.