News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Simutrans front page idea

Started by Vonjo, January 08, 2013, 07:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonjo

Just an idea for the main/front page. The big screenshot changes randomly or frequently (say every week).  :D

What do you think? :)

Ters

A screenshot, no matter how big, won't convince me that a game is worth my attention. Not unless it was playable right threre in the browser. Simutrans, with all it's pak sets, is also pretty much impossible to portray with a single image.

So I'd suggest adding some text, perhaps at the expense of the image so that the text doesn't end up off-screen on smaller screens, and change the screenshot every 15 seconds (without page reload) to show how varied Simutrans is.

Vonjo

Quote from: Ters on January 08, 2013, 04:53:16 PM
So I'd suggest adding some text, perhaps at the expense of the image so that the text doesn't end up off-screen on smaller screens, and change the screenshot every 15 seconds (without page reload) to show how varied Simutrans is.
This is a good idea. Short description of the screenshot can be added too.
The screenshot can be replaced with videos.

However the reason why there is only a few text is simplicity. We need to make first impression that Simutrans is easy and fun. The full description and more screenshot will be displayed after the user click "download and play"  button (or "learn more", or "about simutrans", or "click to continue").

IgorEliezer

Heheh... a new portal was already in the making. With dynamic screenshots, short description, collapsing menus, new download center, completely translatable, etc and such. It's matter of time. :)

ӔO

I think the only problem with still images, especially of just cities, is that it doesn't capture motion or flow during the game too well.

hmm... now that adobe CS2 is free, I wonder if I can't botch together a gif image of how the game feels like to play...

maybe follow a typical John Smith's morning commute to work.
Bus -> commuter train -> short walk
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Sigh. Next year or so, 20 years will have passed since I first saw the World Wide Web, and GIFs are still the only supported format for simple animations. (Flash is bloated, and HTML5 videos are in a format war.)

Vonjo

Quote from: IgorEliezer on January 09, 2013, 01:20:53 AM
Heheh... a new portal was already in the making. With dynamic screenshots, short description, collapsing menus, new download center, completely translatable, etc and such. It's matter of time. :)
Great :) , but (sorry for my English) does that mean that the development of the new portal has been stopped/suspended?
Is this forum also going to be replaced?
Quote from: ӔO on January 09, 2013, 02:36:50 AM
I think the only problem with still images, especially of just cities, is that it doesn't capture motion or flow during the game too well.
hmm... now that adobe CS2 is free, I wonder if I can't botch together a gif image of how the game feels like to play...
maybe follow a typical John Smith's morning commute to work.
Bus -> commuter train -> short walk
An animation is also a good idea. :)
However I am worried that people think that short walk is part of gameplay. ;)
Quote from: ӔO on January 09, 2013, 02:36:50 AM
hmm... now that adobe CS2 is free...
No, It is not. ;D
Quote from: Ters on January 09, 2013, 05:53:12 AM
Sigh. Next year or so, 20 years will have passed since I first saw the World Wide Web, and GIFs are still the only supported format for simple animations. (Flash is bloated, and HTML5 videos are in a format war.)
At least, there is SVG.

An_dz

Quote from: Vonjo on January 09, 2013, 12:20:43 PM
Great :) , but (sorry for my English) does that mean that the development of the new portal has been stopped/suspended?
It stops and comes back, matter of time. It's back in development now.

Is this forum also going to be replaced?
Maybe we'll change theme. To fit the website look.

Quote from: Ters on January 09, 2013, 05:53:12 AM
At least, there is SVG.
There's also APNG, but only Opera and Firefox support it.
Biggest problem it's an unofficial PNG specification.

Vonjo

Quote from: An_dz on January 09, 2013, 12:51:39 PM
It stops and comes back, matter of time. It's back in development now.
Nice. :D Thanks. I hope it will be great.

An_dz