News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Trucks and overtaking

Started by cy087, January 19, 2013, 12:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cy087

One thing that had been frustrating me (pak128) is when you have a slower truck in front of a faster one, then there appeared to be no way to get the faster one to overtake.  Today something magic happened and suddenly it can happen.  But I don't understand why?

OK, I see that it needs some length of clear road.  But are there any published parameters as to when a faster road vehicle can overtake?

CY

greenling

Hello cy087
It give in Pak128 those "overtaking" but to view those "overtaking" need you very long straight and plain roads
every curve and roadcrosing do kill those "overtakeing".
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Ters

Overtaking in Simutrans follows normal rules. It will happen if the overtaker is fast enough to pass the slower vehicle before it might encounter oncoming traffic. Sometimes it miscalculates, just like drivers in the real world.

Combuijs

Every branch (to the right or to the left) in the road prevent overtaking as well. As in real life, you would hope...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

cy087

Hmm, OK.

So how can I construct a road network to optimize for the following situation?

Chain: Glass Factory to Dairy (44 squares)
Convoi 1: mja-Zil 130 (max 90) + 20ft Goods Container Trailer (max 110) = total combo max 90km/h unloaded, 64km/h fully loaded.
Convoi 2: mja-Zil 130 (max 90) + PNMV Mack Goods Trailer "0-L" (max 90) = total combo max 90km/h unloaded, 35km/h fully loaded.
Convoi 3: mja-Zil 130 (max 90) + Mack Truck Goods Trailer (max 130) = total combo max  90km/h unloaded, 22km/h fully loaded.

On the forward trip (loaded), convoi 3 limits the speed of all 3 convoys to a max of 22km/h.
On the return trip (empty), all three convoys are equally paced. Therefore no overtaking is possible.

CY

ӔO

probably best if you match the speeds of all trucks.

alternatively, give each one its own line and give the slower trucks a small detour that will allow the faster trucks to pass.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Like in real life, overtaking will be easier with long straight stretches without junctions and a lane dedicated for overtaking. So build two roads side by side, and make them one directional using signs. This will ensure that no oncomming traffic will block overtaking (though the overtaker will not understand that the road is one directional). Alternatively, make a dedicated road for slow traffic. I've once built a secondary, cheaper and slower road for a line of slow and heavy vehicles.

cy087

Quote from: Ters on January 20, 2013, 08:13:14 AM
Alternatively, make a dedicated road for slow traffic. I've once built a secondary, cheaper and slower road for a line of slow and heavy vehicles.
WooHoo!   :D

That idea improved things in a big way.  I created two cutouts (or "slow vehicle lanes" if you prefer). One quite long for the slowest and one shorter one for the medium pace convoi.  Then changed the schedule of the slow and medium convoys to use the cutouts.  It's almost perfect... "line" efficiency is up by around 40% and now the dairy is rarely short of glass.

Now, if I can only solve the built up area ...

;D
CY