News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Polite request for help with early profit

Started by Eladamri, November 20, 2012, 11:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eladamri

Now this is exactly what I was talking about.
It doesn't have to be an ingame feature, although that would of course be brilliant as well.
It really looks like you're on to something here. A perl script that could be run aside from the game and which creates a hitml structure that I can read in my browser. That would be awesome.

The Hood

If we had something like this I'd love to include additional "description" fields (either in the pak file or some other way) that allowed a brief historical description of the vehicle allowing some comment along the lines of "useful for suburban passenger transport" or whatever.

wlindley

Pak64 puts quite longish descriptions, including text that ranges from whimsical to questionable, in the translation table... rather annoying, really....

so, yes, I heartily agree there should be a "short description" and then a "comments" field.

The Hood

given that makeobj ignores things it doesn't understand in dats, could your perl script read additional fields such as comment=?

AP

Quote from: The Hood on January 03, 2013, 02:45:47 PM
If we had something like this I'd love to include additional "description" fields (either in the pak file or some other way) that allowed a brief historical description of the vehicle allowing some comment along the lines of "useful for suburban passenger transport" or whatever.

A reverse filter would be good - a "recommend me something for suburban passenger tranport in year _" based on the data loaded in-game.

greenling

I have a work projekt in the way beginning.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Eladamri

One more thing I'm wondering: How do you make a railroad line where a highspeed train can overtake a slow train?
I tried just making a third rail in the middle and just have the faster trains chose that track when they wanted to speed past the slower, but I couldn't find how to make that work.
Basically they just didn't care about it.

Is there a trick to it? In videos I have seen elaborate railway lines where they seem to pull it off but I cant grasp how it's done.

Basically I always build two tracks for each line. One in each direction and keep them separate. But to build two new separate tracks for high speed trains seem un-economical somehow. Also if an even faster train comes around I would have to make a separate railway for that as well. That just isn't feasible. There must be an easier way.

kierongreen

If you add loops for slower trains off the main line and direct the slow trains for use the loops the high speed trains should take the shorter route and hopefully overtake. Takes a bit of practice to get the timing right on this though knowing where and how long the loop should be.

jamespetts

You could use waypoints to make the fast trains always use your passing points - but then you would have to rely on luck that they use them at the exact moment that slow trains are on the ordinary tracks beside them.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

It's slightly more difficult to use express service together with slow service in standard.

usually, it's cheaper and slightly easier to add extra platforms at stations and add waiting times to let express trains pass.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

AP

Quote from: Eladamri on January 08, 2013, 09:55:25 PM
One more thing I'm wondering: How do you make a railroad line where a highspeed train can overtake a slow train?

Look at the demo game playing on startup bak-gb (standard) - click to load a map, then cancel, and you'll be in the demo game. I deliberately put in some overtaking loops when I made that map, with the signals set out so they work to enable the trains to overtake - in part because I wanted to find the best spacing to achieve such a system for myself. It does rely on the slow Lines having waypoints set in each loop to pull the trains off the main line each time.

Eladamri

bak-gb? Hmm. Is that a pakset? The one I have for Britain doesn't seem to have any waypoints on the two train lines.

Also using waypoints means my express trains have to have their own lines. I had hoped to avoid that, but I guess it might be the only way.

Eladamri

I see now that there is something fishy going on with the demo scenario.
There are several lines that I can't see in line managment.
Havenpool Branch Line is one of them. It doesn't have a schedule and no link to the managment.
The depot it came from isn't clickable either so I can't see a way to check that line.

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

AP

Quote from: Eladamri on January 09, 2013, 12:40:45 AM
bak-gb? Hmm. Is that a pakset?Also using waypoints means my express trains have to have their own lines. I had hoped to avoid that, but I guess it might be the only way.

Apologies for the typo and shorthand, I meant pak-Britain 128. I could have sworn I used waypoints in the standard version (the experimental version may differ...)

I recommend having them as seperate lines anyway, it allows you to better use the graph functionality to identify where money is coming from and being wasted. If you have one line and lots of different train types (mail, passenger, express) using it, you can't tell which sort is profitable and which are loss-making. Anyway, I doubt your express will call at all the same stations as slower trains?