News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Sand pit, ca 1890

Started by VS, February 05, 2013, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

It's...

• a factory for extending the timeline!
  • only a development snapshot
  • in need of feedback
  • based on DanteDarkstar's work
  • 3 years old (well, some parts)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

greenling

VS
That it a very nice Painting.
Very good work. :thumbsup:
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

benjad

How many tiles is it?

Eyeing the size up, it looks kind of large.

VS

It's just as big as the original.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Looks out good. I don't have a clue on how did those industries work before 1900, but maybe some workers with shovels working next to those carts could give an extra "old fashion" look... :)

mEGa

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

prissi

It might be my monitor, but to me the color looks a little bit off.

Sarlock

Oooo, I like!  Looks good to me :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

martin

Looks like a nice addition! To me it seems that the size of the buildings in the front of the image is too big relative to the steamengine-based crane and carts . And I'am not sure about the grey shed. A 'wooden' styled shed seems better to me considering it is supposed to be build in 1890...

Never the less it looks good already.

VS

prissi - Do you think the colours are too dull? Or some parts are too saturated for the rest? I wonder, too... But I can't really tell what it is!

Zeno - yup, guys with shovels will appear once I have the rest laid down :)

Martin - The grey shed will be replaced by another brick building (arches are sure hard with pixels!). Steam crane digger shovel gets +30%.

sdog

the sand seems to have a slight little green tint to me. But that might as well be caused by the light blue background.

Some texture on the brick house, to make the bricks more distinct would also greatly improve it. Sarlock has made some experiments with bricks in pak128. The results might be of use.

The steam crane is lovely!
just out of interest, does someone know when the first one was in operation?

Sarlock

Looks like 1870's or so with that style of steam shovel... so 1890+ would be historically accurate.

Bricks are easier with Blender :)

Raiser

I would add some grass or scrub on the borders and a couple of trees in the edges. maybe lanterns in the east side (gate) and one,two parking cars. of course change the Brick of the building in the middle.

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Raiser

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 07, 2013, 11:29:17 AM
Not in 1890, I'd say  ;)

definitely :) I meant maybe a coach or something like that to insert some living...

IgorEliezer

1890. I don't think there were wire-mesh fences like this. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fences made of wooden posts and barbed wires would fit better.

sdog

Wikipedia
In the United Kingdom the firm of Barnard, Bishop & Barnard was established in Norwich to produce chain-link fencing by machine. The process was developed by Charles Barnard in 1844 based on cloth weaving machines (up until that time Norwich had a long history of cloth manufacture).[1]

Anchor Fence (established in 1898) bought the rights to the machine, and was the first US company to manufacture chain-link fencing in the United States. Anchor Fence, also holds the first US patent of chain-link. The machine was purchased from a man in 1845 from Belgium who originally invented the wire bending machine.

Sarlock

It looks fine... don't need to get super caught up on historical accuracy.  This factory will spend 99% of its play time in the 1900's anyhow.

VS

Please keep the anachronism discussion going :) I can't research everything, so this information really helps!

greenling

VS
I think that we slowly beginn to build up factory's before 1970.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

VS

Progress? Maybe...

I tried to improve the brick texture, but is that actually what you had in mind? At this distance, individual bricks can't be seen... (I won't start with the other building yet as it needs the texture, too.)

Also, wood on the shovel has a different hue than wood on the house... Which do you find better?

One more question... what do you think should move the carts? People? Animals? A steam winch? I think a miniature steam locomotive would be too much though... :)

Raiser

Quote from: VS on February 08, 2013, 08:18:59 PM

One more question... what do you think should move the carts? People? Animals? A steam winch? I think a miniature steam locomotive would be too much though... :)

Yes - a miniature steam locomotive would be realistic, because the steamengine-based crane works without animals too.

However poor people hauling the carts would be funny too :) But then animated please :)

VS

Well... time for some carefree drawing, I guess?

Not finished, of course :) Criticize!

sdog

Difficult to find something that could be improved. Perhaps, since the ground is soft, there ought to be tire marks ruts, and perhaps some darkened ground at the entrance. Perhaps also some hard, paved way from the office-building to the gap in the fence. I suppose a company wouldn't want their customers having to walk through the mud (or wet sand). A coal heap might be a good idea as well, i suppose the excavator has a steam engine?

But that's all suggestions, in the form of nice to haves, or if you'd need ideas. Without changes it is wonderful as well.

Another question, could a sand-pit have fields around it, like farms or solar plants too? otoh, it wouldn't look good if it was in front of it, but only if it was behind.

ps.: i very much like the large puddles on the bottom of the pit, it gives it a lot of depth.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on November 22, 2013, 10:47:03 PM
time for some carefree drawing
For some odd reason, I read "time for some caffeine drawing".

Quote from: VS on November 22, 2013, 10:47:03 PMCriticize!
Stop asking hard things. D:

VS

The ground - including puddles - was made by DanteDarkstar, so only the buildings are mine...

Tracking suggestions so far:

• customer's cart(s)(?)
  • workers
  • paved path
  • coal
  • some other machinery?

edit: slightly updated pic @g+: https://plus.google.com/100078254555312524768/posts/DsCZWZcq9f6

Vladki

I think the fence would be made of wooden planks in those times...

greenling

Hello All
The Sand pit looks super out.
Good work  VS. :thumbsup:

Sarlock

Nice work VS :)

Some items have shadows and some don't.  Length of shadows isn't quite right with a 60 degree angle from the sun.  (shadows should be a bit shorter)

Depth effect for the sand pit looks nice.

mEGa

As Sarlock said, nice improvement.
More realistic for me.
One notice:
I mean you didn't forget winter view.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks