News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

free capacity graph

Started by asaphxiix, February 08, 2013, 12:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

I wonder, what does this graph show? How is free capacity calculated exactly? It usually just gives a very large number, which I have no idea what it means.

jamespetts

This isn't changed from Standard, I think.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

greenling

Hello asaphxiix
Yes, the free capacity graph show free Place in Busses on.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Banksie_82

A line A-B-C-D.

A Convoy with a capacity of 2...

A sole passenger traveling from A to D...

The  "Free  Capacity" graph will record 3 (A-B, B-C, C-D). The " Traveled" graph will only record 1.

This is why the "Free Capacity" graph always has a large number compared to the " Traveled" graph even though the load factor is constantly high (50% in the case above).

I am of the opinion that this should be changed. Although, I've had too many beers tonight to express the solution eloquently.

asaphxiix

thanks pretty, greenling!

Yes, I have the free capacity graph as useless determined, and a thread that a new feature the line utilization to view asks (ge)opened.

:D

asaphxiix

don't worry my friend, i've already done that for you in the feature request forum :)

cheers!

Quote from: asaphxiix on February 08, 2013, 07:35:22 AM
Hello,

Currently, to my understanding, there is no way to view a history of line utilization - only the current load.

After investigating, I've found that the free capacity graph (which registers a free seat for every free seat between each pair of stops on the route) is quite useless:

1. You can have different distances between pairs of stops, while they are treated equally for the free capacity purpose. For instance, a line has some stops in a city, then going to another city which is very far (with no stops on the way), and has some stops there. So if it was full inside the cities, but empty between them, it would register as mostly or almost completely full (depending on the number of stops inside the cities), while in fact it was mostly empty and not utilized. So considering this, unless your lines have identical distances between each pair, the data in the free capacity graph is hardly relevant at all.

2. It cannot be compared to the graph of 'Trips', since there could be a different number of trips made on the same journey, even when it is constantly 100% full. For instance, a convoy of 50 seats which is 100% full going A-E, can do it with 50 trips each way, or with 200 trips (if all pax get off and are replaced by other pax at each intermediate stop).

3. Even if distances were the same, and you multiplied number of pairs of stops by convoy capacity to use the free capacity data, usually you don't know how many trips the train does every month. So it will still be useless.

So to make up for an important need to determine average line utilization percentage over time, I ask to make a graph of average utilization % over time, in the line management / convoy charts windows, instead of, or in addition to the existing free capacity graph. Similarly to Average Speed graph in Simutrans Experimental, this graph should average the load percentage during a whole month (or trip? I don't actually know how average speed works in STX).

Hope this will be easy to implement and approved.

Thanks!
Asaph

dannyman

I use the traveled and free capacity graphs together.

If a line has balance, that is probably a good sign.
If a line has higher traveled, it is well-utilized.
If a line has higher free capacity, it may have excess capacity.
If a line has negative free capacity, it is overcrowded.

I evaluate these observations vs profitability.  A line with high free capacity versus traveled that is losing money is a line that needs some combination of reduced vehicles, longer waits, or re-routing.