News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Two trains along one straight route

Started by def, January 07, 2009, 05:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

def

I have a long route between to factories and would like to speed things up by using two trains to go between these places. This presents difficulties in getting two trains to travel in different directions along the same route. The cheapest way of doing this is to have a small section of the track where there are two tracks side by side, so that the trains can pass each other in this place.
Is this possible?

I've checked the starter guide but it doesn't provide detailed enough explanation of them

I'm using the 1.01 I think with Pak64

emaxectranspoorte

Yes it is def. I've done it many times. I understand you're talking about two trains on two different tracks with the same source and destination. If I understand correctly: example: Oilfield to Refinery. :)

EDIT: Look at the zoom level and detail of your version, pak128 is favoured for graphics, pak64 is favoured for performance. :)

def

What signs would you use and where?

I know I'm using pak64, I'm not sure about the version number

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: def on January 07, 2009, 05:33:41 PM
What signs would you use and where?

I know I'm using pak64, I'm not sure about the version number

By signs you mean train signals, I hope... ::)

Combuijs

See this post: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=276.0

In short: you can use normal one-way direction signs on the part that is double track.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

def

if I do this, if the trains don't pass the double track at the same time, then it defeats the object. How do I do it so that the trains will stop until the track ahead is clear? I have pre-signals later in the track because of some other complexity, so they won't work

emaxectranspoorte

Use normal train signals at the end of each track, both ways, at the start and end of each track (similar to what Combuijs said). It always worked for me and it is sure, IMHO, to work for you. :)

def

This would work normally, but my track is more complex. See attached image. (Sorry about the whitespace - there's a maximum file size and I needed to save space)

I need two trains going between Mallicross and Appingmouth. The area where they should cross is at the top of the picture.
However, going across this track is a Timber route, which has a train going from the plantation to somewhere East of Appingmouth (see map). This means the tracks must intersect. As a result, I included some pre-signals in order to get the trains moving along faster.

The two trains I want to pass each other in the double track are currently stuck at two different pre-signals. The one at the top carried on past the passing place because of the pre-signal. As a result, the train coming from the south had to stop at the other pre-signal because its route was blocked

I'd like to be able to work this out myself, but I've no idea how any of the signals work. Can someone point me in the direction of a good explanation of any/all the signals? I've tried the guide but its not very good at explaining things. I'm thinking they could best be explained with logical statements.

Magic_Gorter

You could try removing the upper presignal and replace the signal on the right site of the double track for a presignal (only one direction). I'm not sure because I never used the presignals this way....but you can try it.