News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Block Signals Behaviour

Started by Carl, April 10, 2013, 08:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

I've noticed some odd behaviour with long block signals. Here's a quick video to demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZFa9LoyzM&feature=youtu.be

The northbound train should be clear to depart as soon as the southbound train enters the platform. But you can see that it makes several failed attempts to route before finally being allowed to leave. (In fact, it seems to be unable to leave until the southbound train has cleared the other block signal - suggesting that this convoy retains its prior reservation even while in the station.) Even when the northbound train departs, its reservation shows up abnormally -- the red line does not cover its complete route.

greenling

Hello Carl
In Stations gives it unmarked Signals they no be view and that´s make sometimes problems.
Place the Block Signals on the next tile than must it work.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Carl

Ah, so if the signals are not on platform tiles, this will not occur? That's helpful, thanks. Nevertheless, this still seems like a bug.

jamespetts

May I check - did that solve the problem?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

I've just checked this, and the answer is no -- even if the block signal is not placed on the station tile, but one tile later, the convoys still exhibit the same behaviour as in the video.

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this problem can reliably be reproduced?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

While making a toy example of this to upload, I've figured out the cause.

The line north from Merthyr Vale is single track until its end. The block signal invites a convoy to reserve its entire route *until the next signal*. This means that it's attempting to reserve its trip all the way to the end of the line and then back to Merthyr Vale at once -- so it's trying to reserve the spot that the other train is occupying. So, it can't successfully do this until this southbound train has left the station. I can remedy this by putting another signal just after the entrance of the southbound platform.

So this isn't strictly a bug after all, I think.

kierongreen

Indeed. This behaviour is intended and necessary :)