News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

"no routing over owercrowded" option seemed to be irrational.

Started by Train-catcher, April 23, 2013, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train-catcher

So it beacame.
Why an algorythm just cuts off a spawn of ware if there's any overcrowded station on route? It is acceptable for  pax networks, but managing goods network with this one becomes really hard.

I think, that the algorythm should stop emitting ware if the one of the TRANSFER stops is overcrowded (not all the stops). This way allows avoid overcrowding on the interchange terminals (especially freight).
Also a facility should not emit its ware on the own halt.

So, below a counter-arguments of existing "no routing over owercrowded" system:
1) On this screen there is 2 routes: 1-2-3 and 4-2. I set a priority to stop 1 by full loading instruction to train. But it want's load because of overcrowded station 2. It is unconvenient, isn't it?

2) This is seemed to be a bug:
On this screen there is a common supplier for two electric facilities linked with station 1. From this one there is two routes: 1-2 and 1-3, so that stations 2 and 3 are interchanges. From these stations starts routes 2-4 and 3-5. And when the first supplement chain (1-2->2-4) becomes having overcrowded station (you may see it on the screenshot), the second chain (1-3->3-5) becomes unworking even it hasn't any overcrowded stops.

The both savegames are included in the archive below.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1d1M1Km9PC2WFFYaVRQcjFhazQ/edit?usp=sharing

P.S. You can advice me to play without "no routing over owercrowded" option, but there is two unpleasant moments:
1) To rake away accumulated 50k resources
2) See the screenshot: all resources in transit got stuck on the farthest station. And there is no place for resources from the closest supplier.

The former statement means that it would be better to differentiate emission of goods against of consumer's distance.

Dwachs

This is an effect of a different setting, which limits the amounts of goods in transit: If too much goods are in transit to the consumer, then the suppliers wont send more.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Václav

I found that option No route over overcrowded has bigger effect on passenger and post transportation that cargo transportation. And that effect is quite big. Originally quite profitable lines may became unprofitable very fast - and very easily.

But I don't see why this otpion is irrational.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Train-catcher

Quote from: Václav on April 28, 2013, 09:30:06 AM
I found that option No route over overcrowded has bigger effect on passenger and post transportation that cargo transportation. And that effect is quite big. Originally quite profitable lines may became unprofitable very fast - and very easily.

But I don't see why this otpion is irrational.

The fact is that it has big effect on pax/post transportation. But there are a big quantity of pax/mail consumers/emitters spreaded arount the map, so it is dificult to understand how works routing with the option No route over overcrowded.
But it is easier to understand its behaviour within a freight transport system. So I did such a work and show you some results: see the first two screenshots and descriptions of those.
And summing up the results I'd like to offer such like this: block routing of ware if there are one or more interchange stops are overcowded (but not the all overcrowded stops should impact on the routing)

TurfIt

The third screenshot is showing the maximum_intransit setting stopping 'Main supplier' from delivering due to the huge stock at 'land stop 2'. 'Less capacity line' must have more capacity than the ships from 'The rest of the suppliers' to prevent this.

However, the first two screenshots are of IMO buggy behaviour. I'm sure the intent in the code is for only overcrowded transfers to block the route. Patch which fixes these savegames attached - only tested against these saves. I'm not terribly familiar with the route search so would appreciate someone else looking at this...

Dwachs

Quote from: TurfIt on April 28, 2013, 10:49:03 PM
However, the first two screenshots are of IMO buggy behaviour. I'm sure the intent in the code is for only overcrowded transfers to block the route. Patch which fixes these savegames attached - only tested against these saves. I'm not terribly familiar with the route search so would appreciate someone else looking at this...
Thanks for spotting this! This is indeed a bug. A better fix would be to move the if-block in question above the pop-operation, which would avoid some unnecessary operations if all nodes in the open list are overcrowded.

Edit: This is now fixed in r6485.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.