News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Signals cannot be built on junctions, but junctions can be built on signals

Started by jamespetts, May 05, 2013, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have tested this with the release 112.2 [r6390] - I do not think that this has been changed in the nigtlies. The game will stop a player building a railway signal on a piece of track that is a junction/switch - presumably because signals on junctions lead to errors. However, it is possible to build a junction on top of an existing signal, effectively bypassing this check.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

TurfIt

Building a junction on a signal does indeed work, and is quite handy in certain circumstances. But you better know what you're doing as the behaviour is perhaps not as one expects... IMHO the fix should be to the logic to support this configuration, not to forbid it.

Ters

How would a one-way signal work on a junction?

There is also a similar case with dead-end tiles. You can't build signals one them, but you can make a tile with a signal into a dead-end.

An_dz

I use this 'bug' with private signs.

Quote from: Ters on May 05, 2013, 06:52:17 PM
How would a one-way signal work on a junction?
As the signal was placed one tile before the direction it's forbidding.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on May 05, 2013, 10:23:42 PM
As the signal was placed one tile before the direction it's forbidding.

I was more referring to swithing it between the three or four directions.

An_dz

The game forbids change the direction. If you drag, the signal is removed. In both cases it opens the message that you can't build the signal.

Ters

I was also not asking how it works, but how it would work, assuming that one is allowed to build, and I therefore assume also modify, signals on existing junctions as suggested by TurfIt.

An_dz

Ah ok, sorry.

Since the signal works normally over a junction the only problem so far is the graphic that most of the times looks weird over the road for some paksets. For instance pak128 looks and behave perfectly.

I think there could have more graphics for signals, because as it's now, your limited to roadside signs and can't create 'on road' signs.
I did tried creating one but it's impossible, here's why:

There could have toggle options for blocking more than one direction at same time too.

prissi

The problem is that diagonal arrows would block both ribi. Thus for the logic, as straight arrow (let say to the west) and SW and NW diagonal also blockign westwards are represented as W. You would need to store the direction of the roadsing and the ribi. (That is neither difficult nor memory consuming, so it can be done.) A little bit extra logic just to keep them in sync and to discern traffic lights from eight dir roadsigns.

That will not solve any issues with signals at crossings or dead ends.