The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Timetables  (Read 3944 times)

fephisto

Timetables
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
I'm sure this had to have been brought up before, but...is there a way to make an explicit timetable schedule?

I would like to increase the frequency of my buses in order to reduce the number of passengers waiting at stops, but often I'll get "bunching" due to one bus waiting at a stop, causing an accordion effect.  Which is bad because I'll get a bunch of buses with little-to-no passengers at a bus-stop that I know gets frequent traffic.

I know I can set the "wait until X% for Y time" options, but this can often get frustrating with many stops, and you're micromanaging to figure out which stops are the 'problem' stops.  And you'd like to reduce the latency in a line by just...sending out more buses and forgetting about it.

That, and it helps with connecting lines.  Lining up trains and other transit to hit a predictable rush helps reduce clogs further down the line.

Also, it feels a little more realistic.  Any love for public transit time tables?  No?  Just me? ..... M...maybe my dad?

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
Re: Timetables
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
Simutrans-Experimental has a feature, convoy spacing, which enables something very similar to timetables - see here for details.

Offline Ters

• Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
  • Languages: EN, NO
Re: Timetables
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:05 AM »
True timetables is impossible given the speed or manner at which time passes in Simutrans. The wait timeout is given in (fractions of) months, not days. Trains would also face the problem that there is no central traffic control to ensure a train gets there on time. Having proper timetables could be a nice aspect in a transport simulation game, and I've been thinking about it myself, but Simutrans would have to change a lot to become such a game. Those changes might outweigh the gains.