News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Pak.Sweden....!

Started by Ves, June 01, 2013, 11:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max-Max

Just plain amazing!

I'm currently caught up in a book project, but I still keep an eye on things here ;)
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

Ves

Did you get to render that car in correct size?

Ves

Are more or less finnished with the sleepcars. It was mostly quite easy.. just copy the car variations and reconfigure the windows :)
I also made a little general polish on the 80-generation car, for instance made them one 'knot' longer and scaled the windows to fit better.

Anyway, I got inspired some nights ago to start with X55, SJ's new Regina "SJ3000" train: https://www.google.dk/search?q=x55+sj&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hh1kU525Guf8ywPhqYK4Dg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

This is ment to be the next generation after the X2000 train.

This is the work of my two nights work:

I have only made one view as I want to get it right before I copy up and continiue with the other views. I have tried to design it so it would be easy in the future to add other liveries, using layers and neutral colors. In fact, all details are only black or white (except for the lowest part of the car and the pantograph) in different shadings, (hopefully) to make it easier later.
There are still things left to doo before I make copy to the other rotations, for instance the details on the roof (At the moment, just copyed from a loco.....). Im also a bit unsure if I got the angles right, what do you think? (look at the pictures in the google-search)
Any tips in general would be much appreciated! :)

Ves

The ordinary rotations are mostly done for this entire X-55 trainset: X55A, X55M, URB55 and X55B. There are still some issues, like getting the right angle of the roof and body.
The car is a little changed since the 'GIMP'-shoot in the previsous post, some adjustments to the black parts and the dark parts under the cars. Also the doors are little remaked to better create the illusion of the curved fuselage. I realize, looking at the screenshoot, that there are some glitching in the transition between the 3rd and 4th car (and 7th and 8th car).  :redx:

In this screenshoot, there are also are visible the polished and a little longer 80-generation car. I did also change the color on the older cars, visible in the picture.

Flemmbrav

i'm really sorry about keep you so long waiting!

first at all:
your pakset is getteing greater with every post! - you got my whole respect!

on that fotos the roof semms to be really flat, i think it would be more like this:

i only changed the colours at the 2end car, i hope you see the difference ;)

i've rescaled the image to "original-size" - wasn't that easy, why do you zoom in?
- the only thing you're going to do with that is to destroy your own trains!

and just another thing:
do you use 3d-models or do you draw the trains/objekts by gimp?

Ves

Flemmbrav, thanks for your comments and your feedback! :-)

You are right, the roof seems more proportional on your picture than mine, you made some adjustments at the border between the cars? Did you also change the color on the roof or are my eyes fooling me? (Looking from the phone)

What do you mean with that I am zooming in? Do you mean that I should cut the image to a proper screen size instead?

I draw everything in gimp! Layer by layer :-)

Flemmbrav

Quote from: VesI draw everything in gimp!
wow!  :o
and again: big respect!
it musst take lot of time to draw trains like that!
for my part, i currently don't use that much colours 'couse simutrans won't use them.

You're right, i've changed the roof-colours of one coach, and the border of every car.

If you use the zoom simutrans will "correct" your/our objekts here and there for "better" pictures.
just take a look at the station-roof:

Also some tricks won't work. (dithering etc)

Max-Max

- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

Ves

Thank you both for your kind words! It takes some time, but I try to be as modular as possible, so I easy can adjust shadows, transitions, colors without having to redo too much. Look at all the layers in the gimp-screenshot earlier in the thread :)

You mean that you don't use so many colors between the nuances (50 shades of grey for instance ;) )?

I still don't really understand what you mean with the zooming. Do you mean that I should not zoom in inside simutrans when I'm taking a screenshot? Or are you referring to zoom in/out the picture in a picture program?

Sorry to have so many questions I'm just a guy sitting on my room and play In GIMP, which tricks do you mean that don't work? :-)

Junna

Quote from: Ves on May 08, 2014, 07:53:42 AM
I still don't really understand what you mean with the zooming. Do you mean that I should not zoom in inside simutrans when I'm taking a screenshot? Or are you referring to zoom in/out the picture in a picture program?

I think the opposite, that you should take more zoomed in shots in-game, because Simutrans has an auto-smoothing feature that evens out edges as compared to the graphics in raw png.

Ves

Quote from: Junna on May 08, 2014, 04:09:49 PM
I think the opposite, that you should take more zoomed in shots in-game, because Simutrans has an auto-smoothing feature that evens out edges as compared to the graphics in raw png.

But I usually zoom in as much as possible when Im taking a screenshot in Simutrans. I cant get closer to the trains..? The screenshot I originately took, is what I see on my screen when I zoom max in.

Vladki

Hi,

I have been quite busy lately, so I did not play anymore with roadsings. And because the development of swedish vehicles tends to be focused on trains, I have decided to leave the roadsings as they are. I have tries the small (pak64) size in game. I think it is ok, as long as bright colours are used. However it is extremely hard to paint anything sensible in 5x5 pixels, so I did not do anything more. If there are more road vehicles and roads added to pak.sweden, I'm willing to reopen the issue and paint more signs in requested size (10x10 or 5x5) if needed. So far enjoy the big ones and feel free to modify them: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128.Sweden/

However I decided to go on with railway signs. First attempt on mechanical semaphore is attached. It is modified from pak128.Britain. Only the front side is done. I have no idea what coulour shall be the back side. And I am not sure if the signals are supposed to be on the right or left side of the track. Photos from this site are not helpful: http://www.signalbox.org/overseas/sweden/signals.htm

I plan to do also the other signals - long (two arms, two greens), choose (three arms, three greens). For one-way and end-of-choose I plan to use dwarf signals (stop and free respectively)

I have problem with pre-signal. I wanted to use distant signal, but swedish signaling uses flashing light which are impossible in simutrans. So it would be confusing that green one normal signal is "free" and green on pre-signal is "expect stop". Any suggestions?

Update: I have found the colors for the backside, updated pak. uploaded.

Ves

The pak developes into what people developes for it. I like trains, so I just began with that...
I liked your principles on roadsigns, so I hope you will continue working on them later on!

The signals are in general placed on the left hand, since the rail traffic also is left hand traffic.

Do you intend to use the distant signal as a twoblock signal? Then maybe just put a red and a green or yellow lamp in it?

It looks like the pole is a little thick? When I look at the pictures of the original signals, the "pole" looks very long and very narrow, almost thinner than the arms. Would you like to try and experimenting making the pole one or two pixel tighter? I know you said your signal is based on the brittish pak, I suppose they are rendered?

Maybe some day a signal could be allowed to have more images animated. showing a flashing light.... (MaxMax? :::) )
There is also the old topic about true distant signals and other signal behaviours: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7090.0 But I dont think anything came out of that..

If you lack pictures of signals, search on google for "svenska signaler" or "svenska semaforer"

Keep up the good work!

Vladki

I just took the semaphore pole from pak128.britain (it is the same as for pak128), and have only redrawn the arm. I wanted to get the arms right first, then maybe replacing the pole. But it is no problem to make it thinner. I found that the semaphore pole shall be painted red/yellow, but I could not find that info for light signals.

Vladki

Well, here are the modern (light) signals. For pre-signal (two-block signal) I have tried to do the swedish Försignal, but it is definitely not that round as it should be. Improvements are welcome. I decided to use more common yellow/green colors for that, so that players who are used to other paksets feel comfortable. The screenshot pictures choose signal, and end-of-choose signals.

All sources will be soon on my web: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128.Sweden/

Any idea what signs to use for old-style end-of-choose and one-way instead of dwarf signals?

Ves

Hello! Nice with some fine signals!
I downloaded them and put them into my testfacility with these results:

Modern main signal and one of the dwarfes:

Choose signal:

Semaphor:

I forgot to take a photo of the distant signal.

My first impression is that they are a hair bigger than the scale used on the trains. at least the dwarf and the modern signals. Also they should be moved some pixels closer to the centrum, now one get confused which track to which signal!?

I made a little calculation:

I found information that the with of such a daytime signal (the electric light signals) is about 60cm wide.

24m/tile   /    16 tilesteps    =      1,5m/tilestep
1,5m/tilestep    /    4 pixels =       0,37m/pixel

This means that a perfect in scale signal should be two pixels wide......! which very small.
But therefore just for experiementing: Would you like to paint the signals in 3 or 4 pixels with, see how it looks? I suppose the signals are now about 5 or 6 pixels wide? This means that the lamps of the signal will be 1 or 2 pixels big. It might look horrible, but who knows :)
Usually I paint the lamps on my vehicles 1 pixel big, but sometime with a glowe if its a little bigger and more 'important' lamp.

In the real world, its the centre of the signal OR the centre of the red lamp (depending on era), that should be at cabride height.

Do you still have acces to MaxMax server? There is a section about signals in there, with some simple signs that very well could be used to simulate blocked track and end of choose. For instance there is a sketch in "stopp.gif" in the signals folder, which contains a round and a square sign. The round is yellow and red, the square is yellow and green.

Vladki

The signals are not yet aligned for left hand side. Please switch them to right hand for now.

I can try narrower (now it is 6 px, so I'll try 4 px), but I would not go for lights smaller than two pixels. One pixel lights are good for old semaphores - their light was much weaker, and maybe also dwarf signals could work with one pixel ligths.

Btw what signal is that near the rail crossing on the second picture?

Yes I have all the docs from FTP. I almost forgot about them...

Ves

Ah ok! I will put them right hand tonight!

Ok, try out with 4 pixels!

The signal near the railcrossing is a part of the railcrossing itself and only eye candy. It shifts between red and white. I think that the sources to it is on the server as we'll. that signal should preferably have about the same size and dimensions as your signals. I think it's 3 pixels now..

Junna

Typically the Swedish signal poles are simply grey steel, much more slender than the pak128/etc signal pole. Probably be fine to just recolour them from that odd brownish.

Ves

This thread is starting to become very long and difficult to overview. Maybe starting a new topic regarding signals and continue discussions about that there? If someone with moderatorabilities happens to fall over this thread reading this, that person is more than welcome to take out the signals part (latest 7-8 posts) and create a new thread with those.
Hmmm... Maybe also some other topics/parts would deserve to get their own thread....

So... If someone wants to discuss a topic not discussed before, open a new thread! :-)

Mr.Spissky

Det är en mycket bra idé!! Jag laddade ner det men det funkade inte :-[ Någon som vet vad som kan vara fel?

Ves

Quote from: Mr.Spissky on August 23, 2015, 12:32:19 AM
Det är en mycket bra idé!! Jag laddade ner det men det funkade inte :-[ Någon som vet vad som kan vara fel?

Vad trevligt att du vill testa! :)
För att det ska funka behöver du följande:
Simutrans Experiemental med tillhörande Pak128.Britain-Ex-0.9.1
Du behöver göra en kopia av Pak128.Britain-Ex-0.9.1 (kopiera mappen helt enkelt) och döpa om den nya mappen till nåntinga annat, typ Pak.Sweden
Placera .Pakfilen du laddat ned i den mappen.
Leta sen rätt på "Simuconf.tab" (befinner sig i pak-mappen -> config -> Simuconf.tab) och ersätt det nedersta stycke om livery med det som står i "Livery - Add to Simuconf.tab.txt".
Då ska det gärna funka :)

Har precist färdiggjort några nya fordon och lite andra saker, som jag kommer inkludera i filen inom kort.

Som du säkert förstår, så är detta ett hack, och det enda som är möjligt för tillfället är att köra ut tågen på spåren o låta dem köra runt där. Det går tyvärr inte att spela ett spel med ekonomi osv.

Junna

Om du använder det tillsammans med ett annat pak-sätt kan du spela med det, dock. Fast det är inte särskilt visuellt tillfredställande.

Mr.Spissky

Kan man få stationerna och isåfall hur?

Ves

Jag har nog inte lagt till stationsbyggnaderna till den pakfilen än. Jag ska snarast köra ihop några nya pakfiler där dessa och lite annat får följa med.

Ves

Now I got time to put the new vehicles and also the station on the dropbox

---

Nu har jag hunnit få ihop stationen och plattformarna och uppdaterat med de nyaste fordonen, de ligger på dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/za2mzif7k9oxy92/AAAe2tv29ubD6eDFwLo1kPWga?dl=0

Any comments are, as always, welcome!

jamespetts

This does look splendid. Are there any plans to make an Experimental version of this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

Quote from: jamespetts on August 28, 2015, 09:17:59 AM
This does look splendid. Are there any plans to make an Experimental version of this?
This is indeed intended to be used with experimental!
The pak files in the Dropbox is compiled with the experimental makeobj and are currently featuring liveries and upgrades.

jamespetts

How splendid! It would be good to have another Experimental pakset.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

Glad you think that! If you want to test, I probably don't need to tell you how to install the pak files. ;)
Only remember to add the liveries from the file in Dropbox to the simuconf.cfg!

jamespetts

Are these a complete set, or do I need .pak files from another pakset to make it work (and, if so, which ones)?

Ves

The name of the file specifies what's inside them. So only train vehicles, and some stops are there.  No ground, tracks, system or anything else. Therefore you need to drop them inside an existing pakset for the moment.
I'm working on compiling the whole pak.sweden from sources so it will be independent, but for the moment this workaround is the way.

jamespetts

Which pakset do you recommend using for the other things - Pak128, Pak128.Britain, or something else?

Ves

Despite the very different looking graphics, I would just go for the default pak Britain experimental. However I have "sunk" the rails into the ground, and if I don't recall wrong, neither the Britain experimental pak, nor the pak128 standard-experimental version have sunken rails.
Reason I haven't included rails from the pictures with correct depth with the Dropbox files, is that I have painted the slopes with half height, although that's not possible a the moment in simutrans experimental :-)