News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

9007 Limit on number of cities generated at map start

Started by Michael Hauber, June 14, 2013, 12:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hauber

After compiling 9007 from the 11.x branch I've noticed what appears to be a limit on the number of cities that can be generated.  If I ask for 64 cities I might only get 13 actually generated.  The number generated seems to go up for a larger map, and go up if the median city size is reduced, almost as if a population density cap has been placed?

MCollett

Quote from: Michael Hauber on June 14, 2013, 12:32:34 AM
After compiling 9007 from the 11.x branch I've noticed what appears to be a limit on the number of cities that can be generated.  If I ask for 64 cities I might only get 13 actually generated.

Yes, I noticed this too.  I found the problem went away when I turned off clustering (i.e. set the number of clusters to 0), but that may just have been coincidence.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Vonjo

Simutrans will not generate more cities if there is not enough empty land left on the map. As with Simutrans Experimental, cities are usually only generated near the body of water (river, sea, lake) and on the land with lower attitude. So, chances are that there is not enough water or low-land available on the map.

Michael Hauber

It was happening for me with clustering turned off.  But what was the problem was I was generating a map with 0 height variation, and when I put in a normal height variation I started getting plenty more cities.  On a 512x512 map with a request for 256 cities several trials gave me roughly 100 or so cities each time, which is probably more than I can sensibly manage anyway.