News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

IF you run a server with announce, please set your IP/name accordingly

Started by prissi, October 20, 2015, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

I have set up a serverlist again (for standard for the moment, until I can figure out how to run two instances on the same server without interfering one with the other). However, I noticed there are serveral announcements with invalid IP number. So if you run a local server, please switch off announcements. Or make sure your server has its correct IP/DNS set.

jamespetts

It is splendid that this is going again, although it seems to be down at the moment (assuming that it is correctly at http://servers.simutrans.org/).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Yeah, it seems to crash randomly. It ran for hours yesterday though.

jamespetts

Ah, it is back now! Splendid. Do you think that you might be able to set up the server for Experimental too by the end of the year or so?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

I think this needs a second server. Not sure if you can redirect DNS to IPs with different prot numbers. If yes, then I can easily set up two of them.

jamespetts

I must confess, my knowledge of networking does not stretch this far. Do you have any idea how it used to be done before the servers went down?

DrSuperGood

I think this needs a second server. Not sure if you can redirect DNS to IPs with different prot numbers. If yes, then I can easily set up two of them.
DNS servers should return IP addresses and not ports.

The simplest solution I would imagine is that Experimental be migrated to communicate server listings on a different port from standard (offset by 1?). That way you can run both on the same server.

A better solution would be to unify the listing between standard and experimental with a protocol. They both use the same listing server and the server then separates them.

jamespetts

I am happy to implement any necessary changes in the code of Experimental to allow either of these things, although I am afraid that I do not know enough about the low level elements of networking to write them myself.

prissi

The different port address is not so much an issue as the webserver to display the results (since those are usually bound to port 80). If I find some time, I may try to hack experimetnal support into it; the source are open, so any Javascript expert may be able to do this even faster than me.