News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Crash to Desktop Simutrans 112.2 Experimental 11.9006

Started by Jando, June 24, 2013, 04:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jando

Hello again!

I don't know whether it's a known issue, I thought I'd report it anyway. I'm getting occasional crashes during map construction with the new release candidate, it seems always while placing industries. I estimate that about 10-20% of all new maps I make result in a crash to desktop.

OS is Windows XP, Pakset is Pak128.Britain-Ex version 0.8.3 from the complete package download, configuration file of the pakset is unchanged.

Just in case that it makes a difference: I tend to have small numbers (sometimes 0) for Intercity Road Length cause I noticed that the game "likes" to place bakeries, butchers and the like at an Intercity Road right in the middle of nowhere. Using small or no Intercity roads at all gives me shops in the towns instead of in a spot 20 kms from the next customer. :)

See attached jpg for map creation settings.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. I am not able to reproduce this with the development branch - might I suggest that you check this again when the next release candidate is released to see whether this is still an issue?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

MCollett

Quote from: Jando on June 24, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
I estimate that about 10-20% of all new maps I make result in a crash to desktop.

See attached jpg for map creation settings.

One thing I would suggest is increasing the city cluster size: with 3 clusters of size 150 you are trying to fit (almost) all your cities into a total area that is less than one sixth of your map.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Jando

Quote from: MCollett on June 24, 2013, 09:06:59 PM
One thing I would suggest is increasing the city cluster size: with 3 clusters of size 150 you are trying to fit (almost) all your cities into a total area that is less than one sixth of your map.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Thanks, Matthew. I didn't really know what effect city cluster size has and was playing with that value in an attempt to avoid getting too big cities.

jamespetts

Can I confirm that this problem has gone in 11.0?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on July 13, 2013, 12:08:57 AM
Can I confirm that this problem has gone in 11.0?

Time to praise the development team, by now I've made about 20 to 30 new maps with release 11.00 and pakset 0.9 and didn't encounter a single crash!

Gratulation and many thanks for a job well done!

jamespetts