News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Signal Questions

Started by to_carry_the_heavy_load, August 03, 2013, 03:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

to_carry_the_heavy_load

So first off, hello everyone. I played openttd for a while and switched to simutrans perhaps 6-7 months ago, and am really liking how detailed I can make my networks

On to my question!

As you can see, my intent is to create an area of siding that can be used as waiting track. Currently, I have tried to set up a system using pre-signals, but I must not understand how they work. None of the trains will make their way to the clear siding--I have made sure that there are no way points on the northbound track, so its not an issue of them following waypoints. How do pre-signals work, and how do I set up a system such as Ive described? The chooseplatform signals work wonderfully for stations, but seem to not apply to track with no station tile. That would defeat the purpose of the waiting tracks. My intention is to create railyards at large junctions and large stations where inbound trains can wait for a free station platform.

An easier question: How do you change the signal drag density?

EDIT: Oops, the image didnt come up the first time...

ASV62

As i know pre-signals does not work well with choose signals.

If you want to divert trains into different paths in yard, just use choose signals and zero capacity station structures.

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....

to_carry_the_heavy_load

Quote from: ASV62 on August 03, 2013, 03:17:40 AM
As i know pre-signals does not work well with choose signals.

If you want to divert trains into different paths in yard, just use choose signals and zero capacity station structures.

Is there any way around having to build extra station tiles? Seeing as the idea of waiting tracks to begin with is reduce maintenance cost. Do I just build the structures adjacent to the waiting block?

ASV62

To reduce maintenance cost, just build the first tile for each platform.

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....

ӔO

In simutrans, sidings must be done as singular long lines.
If there are two destinations, you can give each route its own waiting line.

presignals are mainly for averting jams in single track zones.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

I'm a bit unsure what you want to do here, but be aware that vehicles in Simutrans (unlike Transport Tycoon) will choose the shortest route and stick to it, even if it is blocked. It will not choose alternative routes. Choose signs only affect which platform to stop at at the next station. If you want a train to go into the upper-leftmost tracks in your picture, you have to send them there explicitly with waypoints. That means it will always go there. You can do as ASV62 suggests and turn the three upper-leftmost tracks into a station just for waiting. I have done that in one instance, but usually have my trains wait in a line. The latter gives lot of false warnings about stuck trains, though.

to_carry_the_heavy_load

Hmmmm, thanks for the help. It sounds like the only way to achieve what I want is to create a "false station" in my waiting areas. I seem to remember openttd being able to do what Im talking about, so maybe there is potential for development in the simutrans platform

Oh, one last thing. Does anyone know how to change the drag signal density?

Vladki

Quote from: to_carry_the_heavy_load on August 03, 2013, 10:39:39 AM
Oh, one last thing. Does anyone know how to change the drag signal density?
Ctrl-click on signal icon

Ters

What I remember fro Transport Tycoon is that it tries all kinds of routes which seem to lead to the destination and allows the vehicle to keep moving, even if it is a detour around the world. Simutrans chooses one route and sticks to it. This is a design decision that is unlikely to change. I think it is even meant to be opposed to what Transport Tycoon does, to avoid the unpredictability it leads to. Even choose signals are slightly controversial in Simutrans.